Sublime Forum

A (Very Basic) Package Manager

[size=150]PackageManager[/size]

Direct download: PackageManager.sublime-package

The name is quite pretentious, especially considering the meager features at the moment:

• Download .sublime-package files and copy to Installed Packages (non-blocking)
  • Uninstall packages by deleting package folder from Packages and .sublime-package file from Installed Packages
  • Check for updated versions of packages (blocking)
  • Adding repo urls to the database (this might not be working, though)

It’s been very little tested and generally hopes for the best: no error checking (not even for an inexistent Installed Packages folder), no proxy support, etc.

What it does is downloading a tip revision as a .zip file from GitHub repositories and performing renaming and copying as needed, so it isn’t very smart. If people find it useful, though, I might improve it and eventually move it to the SublimeText org.

[size=150]Warning: It might download harmful files and it might delete files you don’t want deleted. Use at your own risk, etc.[/size] [size=60]Hope you like it, though.[/size]

Check the readme on the BitBucket page for more info.

0 Likes

Plugins repository & manager

…but how do I install the package manager itself? I need a package-manager manager! :frowning:

seriously though, this is pretty cool. I’m gonna give it a try.

0 Likes

The wiki link to download the .sublime-package has the wrong case: bitbucket.org/guillermooo/PackageManager/downloads/PackageManager.sublime-package instead of
bitbucket.org/guillermooo/packagemanager/downloads/PackageManager.sublime-package

0 Likes

Oops. True. I never get around to updating my templates…

About installing the package manager, yeah, it must be done manually, at least for the time being (and in any case, always the first time). Just drop the .sublime-package file in Data/Installed Packages and create Installed Packages if it doesn’t exist yet.

0 Likes

Yeah, I was just kidding. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know if you can do pull requests or whatever with Hg, but I duplicated Default (Windows).sublime-keymap, named it Default (OSX).sublime-keymap and changed all the ctrls to supers. Now I can actually check boxes. :smile: I’ll let you know if I can install stuff.

Also, I already had CTags (sublimator’s) installed but it says “UNINSTALLED” in the list—does it just only know if things are installed if they’ve been installed through it?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Haha, yeah, I’m not very considerate with other platforms and pretty lazy too. I’ll try to fix the key maps.

The package manager is pretty stupid. If there’s a XXX package in Packages, but not a corresponding XXX.sublime-package in Installed Packages, it will asume it doesn’t exist. :smiley: There might be other similar bugs.

0 Likes

And I should read posts until the end… Yeah, what you say’s right! :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Excellent. :smile:
It’d be sweet if at the bottom of the table it printed a help message about how to install, uninstall, add, etc. I’m flipping back and forth between the keymap and the table to figure out how to do things. Is there an easy way to figure out the key mapped to a command? I started writing something but I don’t want to hard-code values.

0 Likes

@sublimator showed a preview of a very cool plugin that would do that; teleport you to commands/settings/key bindings. But I don’t think he’s published it yet? I think he won’t until Jon adds monospace fonts to the quick panel, haha. Hope that happens before v3. In other words, I don’t think there is any way of doing that atm, no.

I’ll add the tips at the end. Cheers.

0 Likes

I also just busted this out a little bit:

[code]— /Users/nikolaus/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 2/Packages/PackageManager/package_manager_ui.py Wed Aug 3 15:52:53 2011
+++ /Users/nikolaus/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 2/Packages/PackageManager/package_manager_ui.py Wed Aug 3 15:52:58 2011
@@ -53,7 +53,14 @@

class PackageManagerUiCommand(sublime_plugin.WindowCommand):
def run(self):

•    ui = self.window.new_file()

•    ui = None

•    for v in self.window.views():

•        if 'Package Manager - Sublime Text' == v.name():

•            ui = v

•            self.window.focus_view(ui)

•            break

•    if ui == None:

•        ui = self.window.new_file()
       ui.set_name('Package Manager - Sublime Text')
       draw_frame(ui)
       load_package_data(ui)[/code]
0 Likes

Cool, I’ll be adding this stuff when I get some sleep :wink: Thanks!

0 Likes

Yeah, that looked really sweet. I’m looking forward to it :smile:

Thanks!

A couple things:
I installed CTags for real through the package manager, but it didn’t update the UNINSTALLED to an INSTALLED until I closed and reopened the buffer.
I see the soda theme and the latex-tools in the catalogue but not in the manager or in the catalogue-db. I haven’t yet investigated why this is but just thought I’d say.
Also, if the package manager were in github it could update itself. Just saying :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again! This is really awesome.

0 Likes

I personally have been using the github.app for OS X to manage all my packages. It makes it extremely easy to update and manage packages. Apparently a windows version is on its way, too. Just saying…

0 Likes