Sublime Forum

BracketHighlighter

[quote=“gregor.hoch”]One more questions: If this works, I would like to extend it to something like “open”: “(\begin\{(table|sidewaystable|figure|sidewaysfigure|algorithm)\})”. But I don’t think that works because only one captureing group is allowed. That is the alternative? That’s a simple regex question, I guess.
[/quote]

You can use non-capturing groups: (?:something|something else|etc). You need one and only one capturing group, but you can have as many non-capturing groups as you need.

If you are still having trouble, please provide some example Latex Code I can test with. I don’t use every language, so I always ask people provide me with example code, a clear explanation of what the they want BH to highlight, and their best attempting at creating the rules and/or scripts needed. This helps save me time.

0 Likes

You can use non-capturing groups: (?:something|something else|etc). You need one and only one capturing group, but you can have as many non-capturing groups as you need.

If you are still having trouble, please provide some example Latex Code I can test with. I don’t use every language, so I always ask people provide me with example code, a clear explanation of what the they want BH to highlight, and their best attempting at creating the rules and/or scripts needed. This helps save me time.[/quote]

Yes, of course. Here is some code

[code]\begin{sidewaystable}
\caption{this is a sidewaytable}

\end{sidewaystable}

\begin{table}
\caption{this is a table}

\end{table}

\begin{figure}
\caption{figure}

\end{figure}[/code]

And my is modified entry in the brackets array in bh_core.sublime-settings.

{ "name": "latex_floats", "open": "(\\begin\\{(?:table|sidewaystable|figure|sidewaysfigure|algorithm)\\})", "close": "(\\end\\{(?:table|sidewaystable|figure|sidewaysfigure|algorithm)\\})", // "open": "(\\begin\\{sidewaystable\\})", // "close": "(\\end\\{sidewaystable\\})", "style": "default", "scope_exclude": "string", "comment"], "language_filter": "whitelist", "language_list": "LaTeX"], "enabled": true }

I would like to highlight
\begin{sidewaystable}…\end{sidewaystable}
\begin{table}…\end{table}
\begin{figure}…\end{figure}

But I only get the \end{..} sourrounded with a black line and a ? indicating that ST is unable to find the opening bracket. Any idea why?

Thanks!

0 Likes

The problem was simply you have to escape backslashes in regex but also escape backslashes in the JSON settings strings as well, which can cause slightly unintuitive escapeing:

So you want this:

\\begin\{(?:table|sidewaystable|figure|sidewaysfigure|algorithm)\})

So you but this in your settings:

\\begin\\{(?:table|sidewaystable|figure|sidewaysfigure|algorithm)\\})

but when the regex is read in from the JSON setting string, the regex looks like this:

\begin\{(?:table|sidewaystable|figure|sidewaysfigure|algorithm)\})

So basically “\begin” wasn’t sufficiently escaped in the JSON setting string to translate to an appropriate escaped regex…I know, I know this is the convoluted stuff that happens when you represent a regex expression in a string.

This is what you need:
[pre=#252525] {
“name”: “latex_floats”,
“open”: “(\\begin\{(?:table|sidewaystable|figure|sidewaysfigure|algorithm)\})”,
“close”: “(\\end\{(?:table|sidewaystable|figure|sidewaysfigure|algorithm)\})”,
// “open”: “(\begin\{sidewaystable\})”,
// “close”: “(\end\{sidewaystable\})”,
“style”: “default”,
“scope_exclude”: “string”, “comment”],
“language_filter”: “whitelist”,
“language_list”: “LaTeX”],
“enabled”: true
},[/pre]

0 Likes

(Failed to post the first time, trying again?)
Hello!
I’m sorry if it has been asked before, but I was playing with bracket highlighter (I’m still learning Sublime Text itself) and I was wondering if it was possible to only highlight the bracket itself, not the block as a whole…

Desired: (from Vim)

Actual: (from sublime)

0 Likes

@Voaxeyr The readme explains all of this here: github.com/facelessuser/Bracket … ight-style

But to directly answer your question, you can copy the bh_core.sublime-settings file to your Packages/User folder and change the default to solid like shown below:

[pre=#252525] “default”: {
“icon”: “dot”,
“color”: “brackethighlighter.default”,
“style”: “solid”
},[/pre]

If you want to change a specific bracket to be this way, and others to be different, you can can tweak them on an individually; all of this is covered in the readme.

0 Likes

Is there any website with style examples ? I see there’s a lot nice color schemes, no need to make it from scratch.

0 Likes

@ceroz, I am not entirely sure what you mean; can you elaborate?

0 Likes

I like your bh style:

I am looking for something similar but exactly the same characters on margin:
()
|
|
|
()

I would like to get some ready to use codes for styling my BH plugin :wink:

0 Likes

I’m right thinking that is not possible to install correctly the package with package control 2?
I had have to git clone and then switch to bh2st3

0 Likes

[quote=“ceroz”]

I like your bh style:

I am looking for something similar but exactly the same characters on margin:
()
|
|
|
()

I would like to get some ready to use codes for styling my BH plugin :wink:[/quote]

It was a proof of concept, but it isn’t a practical style. I think I outline a number of the issues with it in the same post.

[quote=“tito”]I’m right thinking that is not possible to install correctly the package with package control 2?
I had have to git clone and then switch to bh2st3[/quote]

Works fine with Package Control 2. It is all setup in PC 2 to download the appropriate branch. The thing is, you must delete the unpacked version from your Packages folder, or it will override your Installed Packages version (the archived sublime-package version).

0 Likes

It turns out there was some hard-coded setting in my Package Control.sublime-settings file that prevented this package from being installed correctly.
After cleaning /User/PAckageControl.sublime-settings most of the setttings, the package install correctly. Thanks ! and sorry for the false alarm. :blush: :stuck_out_tongue:

0 Likes

[quote=“tito”]It turns out there was some hard-coded setting in my Package Control.sublime-settings file that prevented this package from being installed correctly.
After cleaning /User/PAckageControl.sublime-settings most of the setttings, the package install correctly. Thanks ! and sorry for the false alarm. :blush: :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

No worries, I had the same thing happen to me with a couple of plugins.

0 Likes

I’m curious if anyone figured out a way to change the solid style highlight border. Currently, mine is this nasty lime green color; which doesnt match anything in my theme.

Also, why do I lose all coloring with the solid style highlight? Variables, operators, basically everything just turns to monochrome for everything within the brackets.

BTW: Thanks for the great plugin!

[quote=“rooc”]Hi, thank you for your nice package! One question - is there a way to change color for highlight border? with option “underline” and “outline” color applies to border and it’s fine but type “solid” doesn’t give a way to define border color

grab.by/bVsO[/quote]

0 Likes

The borders of solid highlights are not accessible via the API, so there isn’t really a way to customize it. I think you can turn off the border (if I remember correctly), but then the selections just look blocky.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it! One more question…
Is there a way to specify minimum number of lines (or characters) threshold?

I dont want it to highlight brackets that are too close together. Its kind of distracting, and not necessary since it’s obvious where they are already. I just want it to highlight brackets that are further apart, if possible.

0 Likes

Not currently. If I can get it in without mucking up anything else, I wouldn’t mind doing it. Please create a github issue at the repo.

0 Likes

Done! Thanks.

0 Likes

I noticed that Sublime Text locks up for a few seconds when I first open it with a a script file. I’m guessing it’s pretty resource intensive when bracket highlighter first initializes. Is there any way to somehow preemptively cache bracket highlighter so it doesn’t lockup ST3 every time when I close and restart ST3? Maybe, there are some performance tips/settings I could use to alleviate this symptom?

BTW: Add me to the list of people who think this plugin is a MUST HAVE for Sublime Text.

0 Likes

This is what BracketHighlighter does:

• On startup: start a thread to watch for view changes or selection changes and intialize the matcher object
  • On view focus: determine which rules etc. it needs to load up for the focused files
  • On selection: match and optionally run bracket plugin modules as requested

There is one thing that takes a second or two, and that is creating a unicode table for unicode property support in regex rules (like this r"\p{Ll}\p{Lu}]"). But it happens only once, and I now defer it until the first call to use it, then it shouldn’t happen again unless the plugin gets reloaded. Deferring this allows ST Gui to load up without any lag.

ST Startup will probably do all these things:

• Startup: causing the BH plugin to load (pretty quick)
  • Load views and focus one causing BH to load up rules (also negligible; try switching tabs, this causes BH to this)
  • Places cursor in view which causes BH to do its first match causing the initial unicode table to load and then perform the match (this will cause the unicode property table to initialize)

Hardcoding the unicode table can probably help in the first view load time, or maybe caching that. I am sure this could probably just be loaded once, and then pickled for later use…

The plugin is surprisingly complicated to allow for all the different tweakable stuff and to be general enough to allow people to add their custom brackets via the settings files and/or specialized functions via bracket plugins. In general though, I don’t notice performance slow down because of the plugin. Probably the unicode table loading is the one thing that takes a couple of seconds.

If I get some time, I may look into caching the unicode property list. I also take pull requests :smile:.

0 Likes

Thanks for taking a look at it. It certainly would be nice to be able to avoid the initial “lockup”. Im guessing it’s bit more of an issue for people like me who make small scripts (frequently exiting/starting Sublime Text). If I knew python, I would definitely attempt to fix it myself.

0 Likes