Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Clojure evaluation

Clojure evaluation

Postby Andrew Kondratovich on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:36 am

Hi.

I like to write code on Clojure.
But after emacs it's hard without slime and expression evaluation.

So, I wrote a little socket-based REPL and Sublime plugin for it.

First, download and build https://github.com/kondratovich/socket-repl.
Second, download https://github.com/kondratovich/evaluate. Instructions in README.

Now, you can run socket-repl and evaluate selected clojure expressions. Results will be in console.

Any suggestions ? You are welcome.
Andrew Kondratovich

Re: Clojure evaluation

Postby grayrest on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:04 pm

sublimator wrote:Any book recommendations?
Practical Clojure and Joy of Clojure. The former is more of an intro while the latter is an intermediate book.
grayrest

Postby wuub on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Andrew Kondratovich wrote:Any suggestions ?

If you wish, you can try using SublimeREPL with Clojure.
http://code.wuub.net/sublimerepl/

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2964

It seems to be working rather well, when compared to the PITA that Ruby's IRB is.
SublimeREPL via Package Control & SublimePTY dev/pre-alpha. Donations are appreciated, but not required :) Twitter: @wuub
wuub

Postby vemv on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:15 am

Hey, it works! neat plugin, thank you Andrew. And both the .clj and .py scripts are so cleanly written - I like how they just apply functions to data - as opposed to other approaches.

I see two ways in which this program could be improved. First, I don't find all comfortable having to select the expressions prior to evaluating them. I'd just keep reading the input until the first parens/bracket/... is matched.

And second - I'd show the output in the console that is running the REPL server's rather than in Sublime's, as a) it's more general-purpose -as the same program could serve other editors- and b) I don't like to see Sublime's and REPL's output all mixed.

I reckon that actually it'd be fun and motivating to implement them myself but - perhaps you'd had no problem in adding those features?

Cheers - Victor.
vemv

Postby sandover on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:51 pm

vemv wrote:First, I don't find all comfortable having to select the expressions prior to evaluating them. I'd just keep reading the input until the first parens/bracket/... is matched.

Agreed! This would be a great addition.
sandover

Postby sandover on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:19 pm

sandover wrote:
vemv wrote:First, I don't find all comfortable having to select the expressions prior to evaluating them. I'd just keep reading the input until the first parens/bracket/... is matched.

Agreed! This would be a great addition.

Actually, I think what Clooj does is even simpler; it looks in both directions for a blank line, and evaluates everything between blank lines. So if you have a block of (def ) expressions, for example, you can evaluate them all with one stroke. But if you're working in a function, it usually has blank lines before and after, so you grab and evaluate just the function.
sandover

Postby wuub on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:26 pm

I just pushed a change to SublimeREPL adding better block transfer for Clojure. Just set your cursor after the last bracket of the function you want evaluated and press F2, b

Multiple cursors are supporter. Use Shift+F2, B to experiment.
SublimeREPL via Package Control & SublimePTY dev/pre-alpha. Donations are appreciated, but not required :) Twitter: @wuub
wuub

Return to Plugin Announcements