Sublime Forum

Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

After 8 months of development, testing and a bunch of feedback from initial users, I’m happy to make an official announcement for Sublime SFTP.

You can see features, screenshots, documentation, changelog and other information at wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp. The plugin has extensive functionality and support both working off of a server and mapping a local folder to a remote folder.

The plugin is installed via Package Control.

Early in the project I decided to make it a commercial plugin to help keep it going. I currently charge for $16 for a single-user license, which allows me to provide a high-level of support. The plugin can be installed and evaluated without a license, and includes a trial period just like ST2.

[size=150]Updates[/size]:

• 2012-02-27 - Version 1.9.0 released

• 2012-02-21 - Version 1.8.5 released

• 2012-02-11 - Version 1.8.4 released

• 2012-01-31 - Version 1.8.3 released

• 2012-01-30 - Version 1.8.2 released

• 2012-01-30 - Version 1.8.1 released

• 2012-01-22 - Version 1.8.0 released

• 2012-01-18 - Version 1.7.8 released

• 2012-01-17 - Version 1.7.7 released

• 2012-01-14 - Version 1.7.6 released

• 2012-01-12 - Version 1.7.5 released

• 2012-01-11 - Version 1.7.4 released

• 2012-01-10 - Version 1.7.3 released

• 2012-01-09 - Version 1.7.2 released

• 2012-01-08 - Version 1.7.1 released

• 2012-01-07 - Version 1.7.0 released

• 2011-12-07 - Version 1.6.2 released

• 2011-12-05 - Version 1.6.1 released

• 2011-12-03 - Version 1.6.0 released

• 2011-11-28 - Version 1.5.4 released

• 2011-11-28 - Version 1.5.3 released

• 2011-11-26 - Version 1.5.2 released

• 2011-11-25 - Version 1.5.1 released

• 2011-11-25 - Version 1.5.0 released

• 2011-11-10 - Version 1.4.5 released

• 2011-11-09 - Version 1.4.4 released

• 2011-11-05 - Version 1.4.3 released

• 2011-10-27 - Version 1.4.2 released

• 2011-10-20 - Version 1.4.1 released

1 Like

Thanks for the plugin, I’ve just started testing it. Really impressive!

But I cannot upload anything using SFTP. FTP works without problem, but SFTP fails on two servers I’ve tested (connection timeout). [Win 7x64, I have putty installed, psftp in my path, when using psftp from console I can login without problem]
Is there a setting to upload on save?

0 Likes

[quote=“chodorowicz”]Thanks for the plugin, I’ve just started testing it. Really impressive!

But I cannot upload anything using SFTP. FTP works without problem, but SFTP fails on two servers I’ve tested (connection timeout). [Win 7x64, I have putty installed, psftp in my path, when using psftp from console I can login without problem]
Is there a setting to upload on save?[/quote]

psftp is bundled with the plugin, so it should not matter if it in your path. I presume that you have the timeout set to the default of 5 seconds? It may be that there is some sort of interactive prompt being presented by psftp that the plugin isn’t yet programmed to handle. If you go to Preferences > Package Settings > SFTP > Settings – User and paste the following, some debug information should be printed to the console (ctrl+`):

{ "debug": true }

You can follow up with me via support@wbond.net with what you find.

In terms of upload on save, the default is to save on upload. I’m open to feedback on this feature, especially regarding whether or not it should be a global setting, or per remote.

1 Like

The problem went away (maybe cmp restart was needed?) Anyway, it works now! I’m definitely buying it now.

So, I know about save_before_upload settings - it’s useful, but I think it’d nice to have a setting (it can be local to project) to upload file on standard save operation (ctrl+s), so one doesn’t have to use the new shortcut to upload files. Of course, I don’t know what others think - maybe I’m the only one.

0 Likes

Ok, I’ll probably end up adding this to the todo list. Thanks for the feedback!

0 Likes

Really fast, really smooth, but there’s a few features I’d like to see before committing to buying this.

1. Remote file/folder deletion.
  2. Remote folder download.
  3. Upload on save.
0 Likes

[quote=“dallbee”]Really fast, really smooth, but there’s a few features I’d like to see before committing to buying this.

3. Upload on save.[/quote]

Items #2 and #3 are available in version 1.4.2.

In terms of remote file and folder deletion, I don’t have a definite answer right now. I am planning on implementing sync functionality which will allow for automatic deletion, however individually choosing files and folders to delete will require a remote browsing interface. I’m not positive I am going to end up building remote browsing, editing, deletion, etc. It mostly depends on how many requests I get for it.

0 Likes

Wbond, thanks so much for implementing the upload on save! All in all I’m very very pleased with the plugin - I have to do a lot of this quick remote edits for small projects and your plugin made my workflow so much smoother!

0 Likes

Great plugin, works as expected and I have purchased a License, but remote browsing would make this perfect! Working from multiple computers and multiple projects can really make a mess of things without working straight off the server. If you’re not planning to add this feature because there are not enough requests, let me know how much it will cost to develop. This is the only feature keeping ST2 and this plugin from being my ultimate IDE :smile:, great work.

0 Likes

when i try do download folder, it downloads all files from remote directory without last one. For example, i have in remote dir 5 files, choose “download folder” and in my local appear only 4 files. When i add another file (6th one) to the remote dir, and once again do “download folder”, 5th file appear, and 6th file is missing?

why?

0 Likes

hmmm, thats little different, as i discover last file from the remote directory (ls -al | tail -1) is always missing on local

0 Likes

If you contact support@wbond.net I can help you figure out what the issue is.

0 Likes

[quote=“wbond”]

If you contact support@wbond.net I can help you figure out what the issue is.[/quote]

ok, mail has been sent.

0 Likes

Thank you for the great editor!

Do you also plan adding support for browsing files on the server?

0 Likes

There is the possibility that I will implement this - it all depends on demand. So far I’ve had only a handful of people express interest in it. Currently that isn’t enough demand to offset the implementation and support time required. The more people who express interest, the more likely it is to happen.

0 Likes

[quote=“wbond”]

There is the possibility that I will implement this - it all depends on demand. So far I’ve had only a handful of people express interest in it. Currently that isn’t enough demand to offset the implementation and support time required. The more people who express interest, the more likely it is to happen.[/quote]

Yes I understand. But implementing this would make Sublimetext editor much much more attractive for huge community of web developers.

0 Likes

+1

I would love to be able to browse files on the server. I would love to replace Espresso (nothing against Espresso, I just prefer using ST2) but Espresso handles FTP pretty well.

0 Likes

This is a great plugin, thanks! Just bought it, it is a humongous help for me. Saves a lot of time not to have to drag my files over to WinSCP every two minutes.:smile:

Bought it :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“dallbee”]Really fast, really smooth, but there’s a few features I’d like to see before committing to buying this.

3. Upload on save.[/quote]

Version 1.5 includes sync functionality, which allows for automated handling of #1, if a file or folder has been deleted locally.

It seems the next big item on the list for functionality is remote server browsing and editing. This will allow for a more complete solution to #1, and address functionality desired by a number of other users.

0 Likes

Can’t wait. I’ll definitely buy it when this comes out.

0 Likes