Sublime Forum

How to create a new language?

Anyone out there trying this, you’ll find yourself restarting sublime A LOT. If you have python installed, you can run this script; it’ll create a new instance of Sublime every time you close. Very useful for reloading those .tmLanguage files.

# endlessly sublime
#
# reloads sublime text over and over and over... 
# useful if you need to restart A LOT, for example
# while developing languages

import os, sys, subprocess

sublimePath = "c:\\program files\\sublime text\\sublimetext.exe"

i = 0
while i < 100: # limited just in case it starts spawning forever...
  os.spawnl(os.P_WAIT, sublimePath)
  i = i + 1
0 Likes

Well, that’s it – I’ve got a package written with a very basic markup language, and it’s all highlighing beautifully. Thanks, Jon.

0 Likes

Excellent! I’ll take a look at getting tmLanguage files auto reloading, it’s unduly painful atm.

0 Likes

Heh. You knew I couldn’t go ten minutes without requesting an API feature…

So, I’m liking the way that the lexer is giving me syntax highlighting. I’ve invented a mini-markup language. Neat!

Now, of course, I want to write a program that parses the markup using the same rules as the syntax highlighter.

Ie, if I’m using this syntax for creating emphasis;

here is an important message

I’d love to get a hierarchical version of the output, something like;

{
doc =
{
text = "here is an ",
markup.italic.script = “important”,
text = “message”
}
}

If, by some stroke of luck, such a thing is available in ST, is it possible to get hold of it?

0 Likes

There’s the API function extractScope, which will return the extents of a given region. However, in terms of extracting an AST of the buffer, it’s not great - it doesn’t descend into children. e.g, if you give it a point in a string, it’ll give you the extents of the string, but it won’t notify you of any escaped characters, interpolated code etc contained within the string.

There’s no reason the full tree structure of the buffer couldn’t be exposed though.

There’s also a stand alone TM syntax parser, which may be of interest:

ultraviolet.rubyforge.org/

0 Likes

Hi, Jon. Cheers. I’m getting the regions at start-and-end tuples. Is there any way to get the text that you’d see if you press ctrl-alt-p? I think with that, I can probably create the AST.

Also, the markup language isn’t that complex, so I can recreate the lexer; it’s not a biggie.

0 Likes

There’s no way to get that yet, I’ll add a couple of functions for the next beta:

view.syntaxName(point): Get the name at the given point
view.matchSelector(point, selector): Evaluate the selector vs. the name at the given point, returning True iff it matches

0 Likes

That sounds great. Then I can scan through the file, building up an index of (position, syntax names). That’ll give me enough to build a hierarchy. Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi,

I’ve made a reStructuredText package for Sublime here http://kib2.free.fr/Sublime/reStructuredText.sublime-package,
no problem for the syntax highlighting but I’ve got some with the only snippet inside (I don’t know why exactly, and don’t have much time yet).

All files are utf-8 encoded because I’m currently working with Sublime under Linux+wine (the only thing annoying is that I can’t launch my Python scripts from wine).

See you, hoping to see a Linux version soon :smile:

0 Likes

Nice stuff!

The key binding should be using “text.restructedtext” rather than “source.restructuredtext” for the context, as that’s what reStructuredText.tmLanguage declares (You can see it when you’ve got a file open using that syntax highlighting, and press Ctrl+Alt+P)

0 Likes

Thanks for the tip Jon,

I will try to add some snippets now.
Do you know how to launch a Python script from Sublime under Wine ?

0 Likes

As in, to have Tools/Build System/Python work?

It relies on python.exe being in the system path, perhaps that’s what’s not working for you under Wine.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]As in, to have Tools/Build System/Python work?

It relies on python.exe being in the system path, perhaps that’s what’s not working for you under Wine.[/quote]

That’s the problem indeed : can I set it to my own Python’s executable under Linux ?

0 Likes

If you edit the file Packages/Python/Python.sublime-build (Normally found under C:\Documents and Settings<username>\Application data\Sublime Text on XP), then you can try changing ‘python.exe’ to /usr/bin/python, and see if that works.

0 Likes

Hi Jon,

I’ve tried without success.

My build command is not set to this one :

buildCommand exec ' *File "(...*?)", line ([0-9]*)' usr/bin/python'"$File"'

(What’s the ‘line ([0-9]*’ ? I suspect in the future I could choose some part of code to run, that’s it ? )

Here’s the message Sublime send me :

running command /usr/bin/python'"Z:\home\kib\Bureau\Programmation\Python\RecupBases\recup.py"' Spawn: trying c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /A /S /C "/usr/bin/python'"Z:\home\kib\Bureau\Programmation\Python\RecupBases\recup.py"'"

A few questions now:

• How can I set the console output by default ? I haven’t seen any option in configuration files for it.
  • Can snippets be nested inside each other ?
  • Does code folding is on your todo list ?

Thanks again.

0 Likes

I’m not quite sure what you mean here, could you elaborate a bit?

Do you mean, some directive inside the *.sublime-snippet file to include another snippet? There’s no functionality for that yet, I can add it to the todo list though.

It sure is! It’s behind things like the project manager and symbol list in priority though.

0 Likes

Normally, I have to use F7 to toogle the console. But I wanted it by default at startup.

[quote=“jps”]
Do you mean, some directive inside the *.sublime-snippet file to include another snippet? There’s no functionality for that yet, I can add it to the todo list though.[/quote]

No, but it’s a good idea :smile: In fact, I meant something like this :

${1:path} and ${2: ${3:optionnal arg}}

Cool, thanks !

0 Likes

re: console, you can put:

--command "showPanel output nofocus"

on the command line, and that’ll show the output panel at startup.

re: snippets, you can nest them that in that manner, your example should work fine.

0 Likes

Thanks for the answers Jon.

You were right, the nested snippets worked well (so I suppose you’ve build a grammar for them).

[quote=“jps”]re: console, you can put:

Code: Select all
–command “showPanel output nofocus”

on the command line, and that’ll show the output panel at startup.[/quote]

Ok, so why not setting up an option for that feature inside the configuration file ?

0 Likes

The way the panels work should be getting a revamp in the not too distant future, I’ll take a look at in then.

0 Likes