Sublime Forum

SublimePTY [pre-alpha]

Thanks for the kind words :smile: This thing is becoming more and more usable with each passing hour.

I’ve got some problems with forcing shell on OSX to behave the same as my Ubuntu box.
That’s why mc/vim/tmux are not working correctly on OSX right now.
If anyone knows how to force OSX bash into full TERM=linux compatibility I’ll be glad to hear from them :smile:

http://i.imgur.com/x2R31.png
Problem? :mrgreen:
Yup, that’s Sublime -> PTY -> Bash -> tmux -> 4x bash [mc | ipython | apline | emacs] :smile:
And yes, you can kill sublime and “tmux attach” will work after restarting.

Oh, we are all so predictable ;D I did the same thing when it worked for the first time.

Lets not get too excited :smile: This is mostly just gluing together bits and pieces of existing software.

0 Likes

So I thought to myself, I really want the Terminal to open in the current directory by default. “How hard could that be?” So I opened up the source code and my eyes glazed over in confusion, haha. It would be AMAZING if the terminal could be set to open with a vertical split like a console window, but I’m getting way ahead of myself.

BTW, I get VIM working fine. Not sure why that would be necessary but w/e.

0 Likes

It would be AMAZING if the terminal could be set to open with a vertical split like a console window

You know wuub works with GIS system? 2 dimensional network layouts or something epic sounding.

I’ve need him to help me with splits.

0 Likes

@castles, I was going to say ‘now if only castles pre-alpha released the grid splitting thinger we saw a screenshot of, we could get mini SublimePTY term windows’ :wink:

@wuub, thanks for posting ‘early and often’, it’s functional for me. The fancy still will come down the road, I hope (height adjustment, colors). The license bit confused me but a couple beers in order for sure. Cheers!

0 Likes

@jtp2

Hint taken. Release early, release bla bla. I told wuub I wouldn’t mind releasing it to the general public if he helps me with support/maintenance. He’s busy with work and other stuff though I guess.

I’ve been waiting on Jon to take a look at the layout regrouping and batch view repositioning before really spending any further time on it. He said he won’t consider these until after 2.0 final is out. Most of the ideas I have for it depend on quick view positioning.

0 Likes

Don’t be mean. It’s 40K of **dense **code and workarounds on workarounds, for the love of FSM :mrgreen:
It’s really difficult to wrap my head around it after full day of work. And after several reads I’m starting to think you overestimated my abilities :smile:

0 Likes

Thank you wuub.

Excellent work!

0 Likes

Don’t be mean

Sorry, I didn’t really mean anything by it :smile: Just we’d talked about it, but you’ve simply got other stuff like SublimePTY and work.

I’m starting to think you overestimated my abilities :smile:

Puhlease! You aint getting out that easy! hahaha

0 Likes

Will any MinGW or Cygwin help with getting this supported in Windows?

Edit - Forget I asked, i found the library

Why doesn’t this work on Windows? the Pyte library should be cross platform

0 Likes

[quote=“Grant”]Will any MinGW or Cygwin help with getting this supported in Windows?
Why doesn’t this work on Windows? the Pyte library should be cross platform[/quote]

Pyte is not a problem. Actually w/o it this whole thing would probably never happen!

I want SublimePTY to be real terminal emulator/console on all three platforms. The main reason behind that, is that if you don’t emulate terminal good enough, some programs behave differently.

Doing this on osx and linux is mostly the same and well documented (blog.nelhage.com/2009/12/a-brief … o-termios/) that’s why I am working on it first and with good results.

Attaching and controlling a windows console is a different thing altogether. One Example: a single windows process can have only ONE console attached, so if you want to control many, you need to spawn child processes and because they need to detach from parent console and create a new one for themselves, you can’t communicate with them through STDIO (AFAIK). So, you have to communicate through something else, Conque uses shared memory (actually, 4 shared memory blocks per subprocess) but it’s a mess. I would love to use 0MQ, but unfortunately it crashes sublime, so it’s either bare sockets or something like Pyro4.

I’ll probably take a look if bash.exe ran in the way SublimeREPL does it is usable as a POSIX/VT100 compatible shell. But it’s a workaround and ultimately I would like to avoid that.

0 Likes

Amazing stuff wuub. Great find on leveraging the pyte library.

I had fun trying to capture ansi escape codes from /bin/bash and attempt to output the proper color combo from a custom theme using view.add_region(). I ran into a brick wall with border around the regions and quickly found out that you already attempted to do exactly this right from the get-go: https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/automatic-backup-plugin/32/1#p22223 Needless to say this was a face-palm moment. I upvoted the http://sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/93643-/ for sure.

Would be great to set the pyte.Screen sizes as per the view size relative to the view.line_height() and view.em_width(). Maybe attach to the on_modified to maybe capture a view resize?

Would it be possible to have this work in an editable output panel ala get_output_panel()? Visually I think it would look better than another normal view.

Whenever the view gets focus via on_activated always set the cursor on the prompt. Maybe force a few other config options off like line highlighting as well.

Otherwise I’m floored how well this works - ipython and most shell commands I use on a regular basis (tab completion, history, ctrl+r, emacs bindings, etc).

0 Likes

Right now it’s the only way to go if you want custom colors, but we (you and I) are not so smart! Go see this - on-the-fly theme generation for #rrggbb css highlight. It’s insane! :smiley: On the other hand, my 484.945 kb .sublime-keymap is a bit bananas as well :>

Thanks. Although I doubt Jon will add it :neutral_face: .

99% it’ll be ready on Monday. Most of the code is already in from day 1 (click1, click2 an click3). I just need to tie it all together.

I don’t know. Underneath SublimePTY is a bit like screen/tmux - you’ll be able to have more than one view attached to a process Attaching a output panel and trying it out should not be very difficult.

(todo: look into VT mouse codes, …)

0 Likes

Hmmm thinking ahead, this could allow for interactive build systems. If we could somehow send it commands via keyboard shortcuts. :smile:

So much potential…

NOW GET BACK TO WORK!

0 Likes

If anyone wondered, it had nothing to do with OSX bash and everything to do with the fact, that ST2 on OSX uses python that still is has this problem: bugs.python.org/issue4978 It was silently failing underneath, after removing some try blocks it finally surfaced.

SublimePTY’s pyte is now fixed and everything seems to be working correctly!
Total time wasted: ± 4h
Total changes required to fix: 6****bytes
Word per minute: 0.1257 :mrgreen:

0 Likes

Hi all,

Thanks to share this great plugin to the community ! It’s a “must have” for me. Thank you very much :wink:

I’m using Sublime Text 2 Build 2181 with SublimePTY v0.06 and I’ve got a few question on it’s behavior:

• only the upper half of the screen is used: the shell prompt is always at the half height of the buffer. Is it the normal behavior ?
  • it looks like it doesn’t’ support colors in its output like with a ‘ls --color’
  • all Sublime key bindings are disabled when in a PTY. How can we access Sublime key bindings ?

Thank you very much and have a nice day
Cheers

Francois

0 Likes

As you can probably see, I didn’t have time to touch any of my plugins in over 2 months now. They are not abandoned though, i’m just super busy @work for several more weeks.

My plan is to have SublimePTY automatically resize terminal to the full available area. It’s number one entry on the TODO but still not there.
Right now ROW/COLS are hardcoded here: https://github.com/wuub/SublimePTY/blob/master/process.py#L31. Feel free to adjust it for now.

It did (sort of) at pre^(n)-alpha stage userecho.com/FYWX But without a way to get rid of those cell borders colored output was more distracting than helpful.

Unfortunately yes. And for a reason. I am sending all keystrokes to the process running inside terminal, so they don’t get to the ST2. At some point in the future I would like to find a better solution or at least have an “escape” sequence (think ctrl+alt in VMWare) but that’s further down the line.

0 Likes

Thanks wuub for your detailed explanations. :smile:
As we can see the future of SublimePTY is in great hands.

Congratulations for your awesome work.
Cheers
François

0 Likes

Anyone other than castle_* interested in the win32 version?

0 Likes

lol, am i the only loser left on windows?

0 Likes

No, I am as well. After 3 months of crunch mode and changing jobs, I’ll be getting out of my cave soon. :wink:

0 Likes