Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

SublimePTY [pre-alpha]

Re: SublimePTY [pre-alpha]

Postby wuub on Mon May 07, 2012 7:18 pm

xeno.by wrote:Tried to clone from https://github.com/wuub/SublimePTY, and it didn't work at all. Showed me a bunch of stars, and that's it. Is there a way to collect diagnostic information if that would be useful to you?

Windows version is still not fully ready. My vacations were a bit longer than I expected, but I managed to write a bit on the train ;)

However if you clone the repo now, AND have Twisted+pywin32 installed you should be able to:
1) Start: SublimePTY/console/console_server.py (as a standard python app)
2) From Sublime run Command Palette -> SublimePTY

Expect some console windows flashing and broken handling of anything that is not a char, i.e. as of now it's not functional, but you should be able to see where things are going.
For anyone wondering: I will probably remove Twisted dependency soon and/or maybe pack everything with py2exe.
SublimeREPL via Package Control & SublimePTY dev/pre-alpha. Donations are appreciated, but not required :) Twitter: @wuub
wuub

Postby xeno.by on Mon May 07, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks! Very inspiring. Will try to take a detailed look, once I get some free time.
xeno.by

Postby wuub on Thu May 10, 2012 10:59 am

However if you clone the repo now, AND have Twisted+pywin32 installed you should be able to:
1) Start: SublimePTY/console/console_server.py (as a standard python app)
2) From Sublime run Command Palette -> SublimePTY

SublimePTY sort of works on Windows now :-) (in an alpha/prototype kind of way, meaning if you can get it running and step lightly, you should be able to at least try performing some real world tasks with it).
SublimeREPL via Package Control & SublimePTY dev/pre-alpha. Donations are appreciated, but not required :) Twitter: @wuub
wuub

Postby xeno.by on Thu May 10, 2012 7:43 pm

Yay! I've been able to run Far Manager, and it DID work with doskey. Terrific!!

Sure, there's a lot of stuff that needs to be taken care of (wild jumps of the cursor, transparent hiding of the underlying console window, colors - yeah, by the way, you're going to support colors, right?), but that's a very good start. Would be an excellent replacement for my current wrapper over cmd.exe ran as a REPL.
xeno.by

Postby xeno.by on Thu May 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Some impressions:

1) Height of the console window doesn't seem to match the height of the pty area in Sublime. Width seems to match.

2) Far.exe run with /W is generally okay. In the server window I'm able to scroll the underlying console with PgUp/PgDn. However, when I press PgUp/PgDn in Sublime, nothing happens. No I didn't rebind these keys.

3) Would it be possible to send mouse clicks to Far? No idea how they detect clicks, but apparently I use clicking pretty often, since I immediately started missing this feature when alpha-testing PTY.
xeno.by

Postby wuub on Fri May 11, 2012 8:22 am

xeno.by wrote:1) Height of the console window doesn't seem to match the height of the pty area in Sublime. Width seems to match.

Yeah, something is broken ;)

However, when I press PgUp/PgDn in Sublime, nothing happens.

PgUp (VK_PREVIOUS) & PgDown (VK_NEXT) are not simply not present in KEYMAP yet :)

3) Would it be possible to send mouse clicks to Far? No idea how they detect clicks, but apparently I use clicking pretty often, since I immediately started missing this feature when alpha-testing PTY.

I will definitely try to add mouse support once basic functions are working correctly. Fortunately .sublime-mousemap give me all the power I need to implement clicks and scrolling. EDIT: (this might be a bit more difficult than I thought, as mousemap seems to ignore "context" argument. ) EDIT2: And thanks to quarnster/SublimeGDB we should be able to have a bit hacky mouse support ;)

wild jumps of the cursor

Cursor is ignored in win32 version ATM. But I've already solved it in OSX/Linux PTY and it should be a 5 minutes feature.

transparent hiding of the underlying console window

It's for debugging only. Also at one point in time I would like to be able to attach multiple Sublime views to the same console process. Having a separate window to interact with lets me check if current implementation correctly handles updates that did not originate in a sublime view.

colors - yeah, by the way, you're going to support colors, right?

Yup. Because of this: http://sublimetext.userecho.com/users/9 ... /feedback/ I'm planning 3 easily switchable modes:
no_color, some_color (paint only things that are not standard fg/bg), full_hd_with_fabulous_pink_grid ( http://i.imgur.com/Dh4io.png)
wuub

Postby wuub on Fri May 11, 2012 1:32 pm

Very simple mouse support has been added.
Crtl+Alt+LMB and Ctrl+Alt+RMB are sent to windows console as simple LMB & RMB clicks (no long presses or drag&drop)

EDIT:
+ double click ;)

EDIT2:
+ console automatically adjusts its size to the available area
wuub

Postby wuub on Sun May 13, 2012 5:41 pm

(updated first post)
- most of the functions for beta version on windows are now ready

Known problems:
- console_server.py still needs to be started/killed manually
- capitalized letters are broken

Short screencast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGBVdlqTko
I'm was super tired, and didn't know what I was doing but it should be pretty obvious what works and what doesn't. Most of the delays are me thinking what to do next or waiting for buffer to resize (ATM resizing is done each 2 seconds or so))
wuub

Postby C0D312 on Sun May 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Looks awesome but it would look even better without the region borders :)
C0D312

Postby facelessuser on Sun May 13, 2012 7:00 pm

C0D312 wrote:Looks awesome but it would look even better without the region borders :)

If you create two regions (one solid, one outline) you can probably get rid of the different color border. That won't help the rounded issue at the corners, but it would help it look a bit better.
facelessuser

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Announcements