Sublime Forum

DogEars - Named Bookmarks for Sublime Text 2

DogEars allows you to create Bookmarks inside your code, and give them names. It also allows you to search for them using a quick panel (like the Ctrl + P Dialog). Currently it only maintains bookmarks in a particular open view, but I plan to evolve it to become a neat bookmark manager so you can jump to important locations in your project.

[size=120]http://github.com/skyronic/DogEars[/size]

[size=150]What works:[/size]

• Create a bookmark Ctrl + Shift + B
  • Access a bookmark Ctrl + Shift + M

[size=150]What doesnā€™t work(yet):
[/size]

• You can only access bookmarks in the same file for now.
  • The bookmarks arenā€™t stored on your hard drive. If you close Sublime Text, the bookmarks are lost
  • Deleting bookmarks
  • The bookmarks are still shown in case the section of text containing the bookmark has been deleted
  • A single panel to show all the bookmarks
  • Stability issues

I am not too experienced with python. I would really appreciate any feedback on the code, and suggestions on how I can take this forward.

0 Likes

Thats a pretty neat idea.
Iā€™m not great at python either.
How are you persisting the bookmarks I see BOOKMARS = {} array
Iā€™m wondering if there is something in Sublime for persisting things like this and Iā€™d be really interested in seeing how reopen_last_file command works since it stores a list I would guess of the last opened files and would be the best way to handle storing bookmars as well I assume.

Congratulations on the plugin.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œatomiā€]Thats a pretty neat idea.
Iā€™m not great at python either.
How are you persisting the bookmarks I see BOOKMARS = {} array
Iā€™m wondering if there is something in Sublime for persisting things like this and Iā€™d be really interested in seeing how reopen_last_file command works since it stores a list I would guess of the last opened files and would be the best way to handle storing bookmars as well I assume.

Congratulations on the plugin.[/quote]

Hey! Thanks for checking it out!

I am using BOOKMARKS now because I am still confused about the best way to persist it. Sublime has a neat feature where I can pick out a region (for a bookmark), and ask it to persist across sessions. The best part is that if I add text above or below, the bounds will get re-calculated (like how good bookmarking systems should).

The annoying part is that I will have to keep a list of all the bookmarks in all the files. So when the user searches the global list of bookmarks, it needs to open the appropriate file (if it isnā€™t opened already) and then move to the correct bookmark.

However, am not sure the best way to persist BOOKMARKS. So Iā€™m just putting it inside a global array. Since the chance of two views writing it simultaneously is none, it shouldnā€™t have any thread-safety problems. But Iā€™m not sure whether to serialize using CPickle, or JSON, or whatever.

0 Likes

Use CPickle is the fastest way. I use it in github.com/SublimeText/BufferSc ā€¦ rScroll.py

The problem you will find is that because the application is not sending ā€œon project close/openā€ and ā€œon application closedā€ you need to write to that file very often, which is very inefficient.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œtitoā€]Use CPickle is the fastest way. I use it in github.com/SublimeText/BufferSc ā€¦ rScroll.py

The problem you will find is that because the application is not sending ā€œon project close/openā€ and ā€œon application closedā€ you need to write to that file very often, which is very inefficient.[/quote]

Hi tito,

yup, I was using the source code of BufferScroll as a reference.

I actually figured out a way to write the bookmarks to disk and keep it efficient.

I maintain one master table containing the global list of bookmarks - which file contains which bookmark, etc. I only write to this on creation of a new bookmark, or deletion of an existing one.

I can use application_close and view_close to pick up the exact caret location of each bookmark inside the open views and store them. Itā€™s going to be a lot more tricky in practice but I think I can pull it off.

0 Likes

A good adition, keep it up. : )

I believe you can just open the file with ā€œsublime.active_window().open_file(path)ā€, this will refocus the tab if unfocused.

Allow an easy deletion, or save a hash of the content of the line.

[quote]* A single panel to show all the bookmarks

• Deleting bookmarks[/quote]

There is a tiny example on how to use the panel in this file github.com/weslly/Nettuts-Fetch ā€¦ r/Fetch.py
You give to the show_quick_panel function a list and the panel will return the index of the selected item.

0 Likes

Just in case, here is the api sublimetext.com/docs/2/api_reference.html

0 Likes

@skyronic or @tito: Any word on merging efforts or updating this plugin for ST3?
It seems that bookmarks are already saved in ST3, but adding the names would be invaluable :smiley:

0 Likes