Thank you -- here are my lessons learned so far:
1. Variables are set AFTER self.view.insert, not in the middle of.
2. Python is sensitive to indentations in the form of white space, with incremental white space indentations.
3. Saving a file with the Python console open helps to debug.
4. To try out the plugin in the Python console, I need to be aware that this syntax is no longer supported in ST2 [view.runCommand('example')] -- instead, I should use: view.run_command('example')
5. To utilize dir() in the Python console, there are many variables that could be inserted in between the parenthesis -- I will need to read more documentation regarding the various usages.
6. Examples of code that will work in the Sublime Text plugins can be found in unrelated Python scripts, because the language is the same.http://docs.python.org/2/library/os.path.html