Sublime Forum

Advice on switching ST2->ST3

I’m tempted to do the switch, but before doing that
I’d like to have a rough idea of how hard that will be.
I hope answers might be useful for other ppl in the same
situation as me. Questions:

1. I have a group of rather complex plugins. These should
    be translated to Python 3, right? How difficult is that?
    Are only minor changes involved (like, print -> print() )
    or structural changes might be necessary? on average,
    how many lines did you have to change? just to get
    an idea, before starting to study the details.
  2. On the ST3 side, what steps are in order to move
    my plugins? would it be sufficient to copy them to
    /Users? any other modification in the structure/naming
    of the files?
  3. Would it be wiser to wait some more time for the
    switch? is ST3 stable enough to be used for actual work?

Thanks

0 Likes

1.) The difficulty of porting plugins vary. There are, of course, change from Python 2 to Python 3. But you also have to contend with some API changes. You will probably want to take a look at this if you haven’t already. sublimetext.com/docs/3/api_reference.html

2.) There are any structural changes between ST2 and ST3 that I know of. Many plugins will work on both ST2 and ST3 with minimal modifications.

3.) I’ve been using ST3, almost since it’s release and it feels pretty stable to me. I think a major limiting factor is the number of plugins that haven’t been ported to ST3. I’m sure this isn’t a complete list, so you will want to check the actual plugins you use for ST3 compatibility, but it’s probably a good starting point. github.com/wbond/sublime_packag … e-Packages Under the assumption you will eventually switch to ST3, it’s probably worth while to get your personal stuff ported over now. If you do decide it’s not quite where you would like it to be, you can always go back to ST2. You can install/use ST2 and ST3 side by side, so I don’t really see any major downside in at least trying it. I guess you could argue time porting your personal plugins, but like I said, you would probably do that eventually anyways.

0 Likes

There are still issues with ST3, you can see them pop up if you look at active topics on the forums.
You are bound to hit at least one good plugin you use that isn’t supported in ST3 yet.
I’m waiting it out. My gut feeling I won’t be using ST3 for 3-6 months or more.

0 Likes

ST3 is so much better than ST2: speed and goto definition are the two most visible stuff. And there is some new little things like “Paste from history”.
Since a few releases, i did not have a crash, so I find it pretty stable.
Except if you have one plugin not working in ST3 and that you cannot live without it, i see no reason not to do the switch.

0 Likes