Sublime Forum

Interest for a PHP IDE Plugin

I’ve been using Sublime for PHP coding for a while now. I have the SublimeCodeIntel and CTags plugins running. And they do what they are supposed to.

But I would like better, more intelligent code completion in Sublime. Think static analysis and code completion a la PhpStorm.

What level of interest is there for a more full-blown PHP IDE plugin for Sublime Text? Is this something the community would help with? Is this something people would fund on Kickstarter?

Let’s discuss and perhaps we can make a great editor even better for PHP programming.

1 Like

+1

0 Likes

Would love to see that and would be interested in contributing too!

0 Likes

+1

0 Likes

Cool. Anyone have any ideas for a name?

Let the brainstorming begin…

Here are some bad ideas, anyone think of any that are better?

Sublimelight
SubPHP
PHP-Phil (like auto fill… Get it?)
PHP-You-Complete-Me
PHPIntel
SmartPHPCompletionator

Maybe these will spark some ideas.

0 Likes

I would like to suggest to keep it simple:

• PHP-IDE
  • PHP-ing ( taken from “Happy PHP-ing” - my favourite :smile: )
  • PHP-Force ( may the Force be with you :wink: )
  • PHP-Sublimed
  • PHP-Sublimated

I like your suggestion PHP-Intel too. Maybe expanded to PHP-Intelli-sense?

Cheers

0 Likes

I agree. I think a variant on PHPIntel is probably the most straightforward name that explains what the plugin does.

A quick search turned up this and this.

I’ll need to check these out and see how far along these projects are. Perhaps it will be better to just contribute to these projects.

I just want something that works well and saves me time. I’m always opening class files and hunting for method signatures. I just want to save that time.

0 Likes

Good point!

I think SublimePHPIntel is in the good way, although it has nothing new for 5 months.

The other project only has the initial commit, a year ago.

0 Likes

I think SublimePHPIntel is a good reference for some of the Python code.

I couldn’t get the plugin to work (see the github issue) but in looking at the source code, it doesn’t appear to do much more than CTags for PHP would do. It doesn’t appear to have any intelligence about which class you are completing. And I don’t think it accounts for inheritance.

0 Likes

I’m with you Devon.

0 Likes

I don’t think any of the existing plugins are going the direction I want to go. I want to write as much of this in PHP as possible to make it easier for myself and other PHP developers to contribute to.

I’ve started a repo at github.com/deweller/PHPCodeIntel

There’s nothing there yet, but I hope to work up a proof of concept soon.

If you are interested in contributing, follow the repo or email me at dweller@devonweller.com and I’ll send out some updates.

0 Likes

Good start Devon.

How do you want to organise the development / discussion? Everything should happen on Github now, right?

Count me in : I am “watching you” :wink:

0 Likes

Yeah, let’s move off of this forum and move to github or a mailing list based discussion.

I’ve started a mailing list if we need it. Just send an email to phpcodeIntel@librelist.com to join.

I’ve added a beginning road map on the GitHub project.

0 Likes

I am on board.

0 Likes

even if this would be a paid plugin I’d definitly buy it if it’s good :smile:

0 Likes

Any progress or change? Best code intel plugin for ST what i discover is CodeIntel by M. Kreuz, but in comparison with code intel in PHP storm is very bad (Im using php framework NETTE with advanced OOP/MVC system , code intel in this case = 0 with ST) :frowning:

The blue of the sky for inteligent PHP code intel for Sublime text!

0 Likes

also better debug support with ui buttons

0 Likes