Github repo(s) for packages

Re: Github repo(s) for packages

Postby guillermooo on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:13 pm

I've just signed up as guillermooo.
guillermooo

Postby Anomareh on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Added.

Also I was just wondering, I don't think there is but do we have an IRC channel? Would anyone else use it? I'm on IRC pretty much 24/7 and a Sublime channel would be pretty nice.
Anomareh

Postby guillermooo on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:28 pm

That wouldn't exactly help me quit my addiction to Sublime! :D

Might be a good idea, but I hardly use IRC these days myself...
guillermooo

Postby Marciano on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:32 pm

I would like to share my LaTeX plugin (new and improved for ST2). But, I am a total github noob!

How should I proceed? My github userid is msiniscalchi

Thanks!
Marciano

Postby Anomareh on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:29 am

Hrmm, messing around a bit not sure, there are a few methods just not sure which would be the best. Also I think we should knock out a quick naming convention for repos so things will be organized before we start adding repos to the org.

The few methods I've discovered are:

1) Create a team with the pull-push-admin (just going to refer to this as the ppa team from now on) permission. This permission allows members of the team to create/modify/delete any repos owned by the team. A possible undesired side effect, it seems users of the team with this permission are also able to add and remove people from the team.

2) A member of the owner or ppa team can fork the user's personal repo into the organization. The user can then commit to their personal repo and send pull requests to the organization repo for members of the owner or ppa team to accept or deny. The only thing that makes this seem odd to me is the work flow of sending pull requests to a fork from the originating repo.

3) The user can create a personal repo of the plugin. Then a member of the owner or ppa team can clone it locally and then create the repo in the organization. The user can then delete their personal repo, fork the organization repo, and send pull requests. This method seems pretty contrived and messy although the end result seems the best.

4) Users can be added to a team with the pull-push permission. Then they'd have to request a member of the owner or ppa team to create a repo for them. Once that is done they'll be able to pull and push to the repo.

It seems the ideal method would be just being able to grant specific users the permission to create and manage only their repos within the organization but I don't think there is any way to do this. It seems only teams can be granted permissions.
Anomareh

Postby atomi on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:54 pm

atomi

Postby gpfsmurf on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:29 pm

Github seems more geared towards web development projects.

Anyways just try to make it simple so that people do share there plugins!
gpfsmurf

Postby Marciano on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:36 pm

FYI, my LaTeX plugin for ST2 is now on my personal GitHub repo, at

git://github.com/msiniscalchi/LaTeX-ST2.git

(public URL). I'll be happy to move it (as anomareh describes in #2, or some other way) to the public "tree" as soon as that's set up.
Marciano

Postby ms4py on Thu May 05, 2011 1:13 am

I created https://github.com/sublimeplugins
Please leave here your username if you want to join.

We should discuss how we can manage different plugins (one repo or many repos) and how is the best way to get them installed. A plugin installer could be nice. Please share your ideas.

My prefered way would be to set the User folder under git and use git submodule to add plugins (like you do it in vim). In this case the developer should change the behaviour of the plugin loading (all folders in the User folder should be scanned for plugins or as a alternative a plugin config file).
ms4py

Postby guillermooo on Thu May 05, 2011 5:40 am

ms4py,

There's something similar available already:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1934

Would that work for you?
guillermooo

Previous

Return to Plugin Development