Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Build my own CSS GUI???

Build my own CSS GUI???

Postby Mazer.Rackham on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:27 am

Image Image Image

Is it already there and I am too stupid to see it?

I love the Espresso .css GUI. It allows me to implement code without having to memorize the various functions and modifiers and whatnot. I would like to add a similar GUI to Sublime Text 2. Seeing as Sublime is built on Python I do not see how it wouldn't be possible, but I was just wondering if there were any caveats that I should be aware of. For example, to implement such a feature would necessitate hacking of source code and I believe that this project is proprietary??

Two options: Build it. Man the fuck up and learn CSS3.
Last edited by Mazer.Rackham on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mazer.Rackham

Re: Build my own CSS GUI???

Postby skaet on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:58 am

I think you may need to elaborate on the context of your post first :)
skaet

Postby jquinhones on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:27 am

Who wants a GUI for CSS? CODE IS POETRY (Thanks Wordpress ;) )
jquinhones

Postby skaet on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:20 am

If you desperately need a GUI for CSS3 you should try http://css3generator.com/

Personally you shouldn't be using a text editor if all you're looking for is a series of fancy dropdowns and buttons. To be honest, I compare tools like this in web development to be much like Microsoft Frontpage. It was a terrible program and is partly responsible for the disgusting state of web development in the late 90s/early 00s.

Regardless, I'd be rather impressed to see a plugin for this though...
skaet

Postby quodlibet on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:06 pm

skaet wrote:I think you may need to elaborate on the context of your post first :)

I think the context is: http://macrabbit.com/espresso/

Mazer.Rackham wrote:Two options: Build it. Man the fuck up and learn CSS3.

Building it would require knowledge a lot more complicated than learning CSS. So, yeah, if you want to use Sublime Text, man up.

My workflow is switching (and copy-pasting) between CSS file(s) in Sublime Text, where I can create a well-documented stylesheet, and Firefox with the Firebug extension, where I can play with live styling. This works for me, but YMMV.

And, finally, if you are happy with Espresso, why not keep using it?
quodlibet

Postby skaet on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:30 am

quodlibet wrote:I think the context is: http://macrabbit.com/espresso/

It's cool. I knew what Mazer was talking about after he edited the post :)
skaet

Postby Mazer.Rackham on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:22 am

quodlibet wrote:And, finally, if you are happy with Espresso, why not keep using it?
I see the extendability of Sublime as being invaluable in the future. I am just a wee programmer at the moment but I eat, sleep, and breathe different languages I want to be the best there ever was, Ash Ketchum status. The fact that I can access the API of the program to create Macros isn't very different from Espresso, but given the ones that have already been created for Sublime I see it as potentially being far more powerful down the line. I really do not mind learning CSS3 and committing it to memory.
Mazer.Rackham

Return to Plugin Development