Sublime Forum

Creating an overlay, similar to minimap

I am fairly new to ST2 and python, but I have an interest in creating a plugin. I have begun to make my way through the API but I’m having some troubles with the nomenclature. It seems that a ‘view’ is a buffer, but does that view contain other views?

Actually it might help to just describe what I am trying to do: I want to create another ‘overlay’ similar to the minimap on the right (the object that shows the current position in the file). Ideally my ‘overlay’ would sit on top of that minimap and would give me some information about the file I am working in and I would be able to hide/show the element just like the minimap works right now. Do these API’s exist? Is what I am trying to do possible?

Looking at the API at http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/api-reference and other resources on the web have been useful for plugin’s which manipulate text in a view, but this is different. I will admit that I am a little out of my element on this, but this is a great tool and I want to improve it.

Thanks for any starting resources / help / comments /etc.

0 Likes

A view shows you the contents of a buffer.

What you want to do is not currently possible with Sublime Text’s API, as far as I know.

0 Likes

Your best bet is probably an output panel.

0 Likes