Sublime Forum

Dev Build 2066

Dev Build 2066 is out now. The most visible change is color schemes other than ‘Monokai Bright’ will show the syntax highlighting of the text through the selection. The default color scheme has also changed from Monokai Bright to Monokai (the only difference between the two is the way the selection looks). I may change the default color scheme back - the selection color doesn’t have much contrast compared to the background color, and I already get a surprising (to me, anyway) number of complaints about lack of contrast in various areas.

Color schemes can individually control if the syntax highlighting is visible through the selection: it will be, unless there’s an explicit ‘selectionForeground’ key set in the .tmTheme file. In general, if the selection color is a wildly different hue to the background, an explicit foreground color may be required, to keep the text readable when selected.

Visually, I’ve changed the height of the line highlight, by removing 1px from the bottom: it was previously looking like it wasn’t centered in the line. There’s also a loading progress bar, which will be displayed if a file is taking longer that 500ms to load.

I’ve made some performance related changes to the Goto Anything ranking algorithm, which shouldn’t have a negative effect on ranking quality, but let me know if there are any issues there. I’ve also changed a few things in the way of Python support on Linux, so please also let me know if you see any issues cropping up there.

The full list of changes is on the dev build page.

0 Likes

Today is a good day! I love getting new builds. :smile: Thanks!

0 Likes

I like the change to highlighted regions, it bugged me a little that it didn’t look centered.

A lot of the time the text bumps right up against the left and right edges of the highlighted portion. I’ve thought a bit about why that occurs, and I think it’s because most editors don’t put the outer 1 pixel of the highlighted region as a slightly darker color. I like that you do that, it definitely looks better, but the problem is that because it is a darker color, it blends into the background a little so it makes the text look like it bumps right up against the edge of the highlighted region.

I might suggest changing it so that the darker border is an outer border, not an inner border. In other words, if the highlighted region is 10x10, right now you have 9x9 of the bright color and a 1 pixel dark border. I’d suggest 10x10 of the bright region and a 1 pixel dark border outside that for a total of 11x11.

Here’s a picture:
http://aj.palkovic.net/highlight.png

It’s not a huge deal, and I realize it has other implications, like the slightly larger region could bump into other characters. But idk, it just seems off a little bit. In the picture, you can see how the pixels of the left side of the O aren’t black because they bump up against it. It’s not something that breaks the editor at all, but it might be a nice piece to polish?

0 Likes

Is it possible that the font i use (Inconsolata) doesn’t work at a font_size of 13 since build 2066? It works at 12 though which is too small for this typeface. (On a Mac)

0 Likes

What you do mean by ‘doesn’t work’?

0 Likes

At 12:

At 13 (replaced by some system font):

And in regards to ajpalkovics comment: A 1 pixel padding would improve the readability. The left side of the “M” is cut off in this case. But i have no idea which side effects this could have…

By the way, i really enjoy the continued stream of builds you are releasing :wink:

0 Likes

Inconsolata at px13 works fine for me in 2065 and dev 2066.

0 Likes

Senzo: That’s really odd. It used work fine in previous builds? FWIW nothing has changed in the font handling code between 2064/2065 and 2066. Does it work if you use something like 13.5?

0 Likes

Inconsolata is working again (After deactivating and activating it again). This was likely to be a Operating System issue… Sorry for that.

0 Likes

I’m getting a bit of a nasty bug on the latest build. When I make a multi-line selection, all the content on each of those lines disappears, except for the first line and except for the selected content.

0 Likes

I have a funny bug using spell check with a Danish dictionary.

I downloaded a Huspell format dictionary file and converted the file to UTF-8 format to ensure proper character support.
Everything works great excepts for words which starts or ends with non-ascii characters (danish have Ì,ø and ü).
That is words which have these characters in the middle works flawlessly, but when the special letter is in the front or the end it seems like it discarded before looking up in the dictionary.
So if i write the word “øvrige”, the dictionary seems to think i wrote “vrige” and the suggests “øvrige”. Clicking on the suggestion will cause one extra “ø” to be inserted so the text says “øøvrige”

Same things happens for example with the word “indgå”, here the “å” is not probably recognised.

0 Likes

n00ge: can you post a screenshot, and let me know what color scheme you’re using?

askholme: could you email me the dictionary you’re using (jps@sublimetext.com)?

0 Likes

[quote=“askholme”]I have a funny bug using spell check with a Danish dictionary.

I downloaded a Huspell format dictionary file and converted the file to UTF-8 format to ensure proper character support.
Everything works great excepts for words which starts or ends with non-ascii characters (danish have Ì,ø and ü).
That is words which have these characters in the middle works flawlessly, but when the special letter is in the front or the end it seems like it discarded before looking up in the dictionary.
So if i write the word “øvrige”, the dictionary seems to think i wrote “vrige” and the suggests “øvrige”. Clicking on the suggestion will cause one extra “ø” to be inserted so the text says “øøvrige”

Same things happens for example with the word “indgå”, here the “å” is not probably recognised.[/quote]

Same here with a french dictionary (http://www.dicollecte.org/download/fr/hunspell-fr-moderne-v4.1.zip) and try with the word ‘éléphant’.

0 Likes

I seem to remember this was an issue in ST1 too (Spanish), but I’m not too sure anymore…

0 Likes

I’m loving every bit of the new build! it’s great! “Close All Files” is a much welcomed addition :smiley: …as well as “disable_auto_insert” :wink:

0 Likes

askholme, bizoo: thanks for the help, will be fixed in the next build.

guillermooo: S1 used Myspell, which intrinsically had unicode issues. S2 uses its successor Hunspell, but only supports UTF-8 encoded dictionaries (most aren’t by default I believe).

0 Likes

Jps: so you don’t need the danish dictionary ?

0 Likes

Nope, got it sorted now - thanks.

0 Likes