Sublime Forum

Monokai vs Monokai Bright

Which colour scheme do you use?

• I use 2066 or later, with Monokai
  • I use 2066 or later, with Monokai Bright
  • I use 2066 or later, with a different colour scheme
  • I use an earlier version

0 voters

Dev Build 2066 changed the way selections are drawn, showing the syntax highlighting through the selection (for colour schemes other than Monokai Bright). It also changed the default colour scheme from Monokai Bright to Monokai.

Before the next regular build goes out, I’d like to confirm that changing the default colour scheme from Monokai Bright to Monokai is the right thing to do. Monokai Bright gives the selections more contrast with the background colour, but obscures the syntax highlighting - it’s otherwise identical to Monokai.

You can see what colour scheme you’re currently using from the Preferences/Color Scheme menu.

0 Likes

Although I use a different colour scheme, I would be using Monokai since I like being able to see the code behind it.

0 Likes

I’d like a more subtle selection than Monokai Bright, but Monokai’s selections are hardly visible in the displays I use (low brightness).

0 Likes

If you want to be able to see the syntax highlighting in the background of a selection on a different colour scheme, simply edit the tmTheme file of the scheme and delete (or comment out) the “selectionForeground” key and string.

0 Likes

I use a slightly modified Monokai Theme, and one of the modification is the selection color that is too dark for me.

0 Likes

My main concern with Monokai is the lack of contrast between the selection and the background - I already get enough complaints about the lack of contrast in general in Sublime Text. To some degree though, it’s an unavoidable issue when the syntax highlighting is showing on top of the selection: every colour used for syntax highlighting must then contrast against the background colour and the selection colour, and the simplest way to do that is to make the selection colour similar to the background colour.

0 Likes

From a purely esthetic point of view, the grey selection color from Monokai is nice, but after a few minutes working with it, you begin to be annoyed with the lack of visibility.
I use the orange/brown selection color from Monokai Bright and darken it a bit. Not optimal but better to work with.
I try different color but didn’t find something really good.

I wonder now if syntax highlighting on top of selection is really useful.

0 Likes

I use customized Monokai ( i labeled it Monokai+ ); with just modified “selection” brighter.

selection
#49483E : original Monokai
#6D6C5D : my Monokai+

i feel comfortable with a little better contrast. :smile:

0 Likes

I guess I’m the weirdo here? I’m working like 8-10h/day (sometimes even more) and I have no problems with contrast on Monokai :unamused:

0 Likes

I love this change, being able to see the syntax highlighting in selections is a very welcome improvement.

It is a little difficult seeing certain elements in Monokai selections, but not unusably so. I use Blackboard and it looks great.

0 Likes

My only problem with Monokai is I find it impossible to see small selections in the minimap. If selections stood out more in the minimap (which would be quite a useful feature, actually) I’d be all over Monokai.
What if selections on the minimap were outlined like find results in the normal view, or something similar? Or what would also be cool is if there were arrows at the top and bottom that said something like “x more selections above/below” so you could quickly tell where all your selections were.

Summary: Monokai is nice in the normal view, but not in the minimap.

0 Likes

I had an idea about how to provide more visibility with respect to selections and bookmarks in the minimap. If you added a small gutter to the left of the minimap and coloured the area of the gutter beside the points of interest in the minimap, it might help people more easily keep track of things. If you also made these coloured areas clickable (clicking the highlighted gutter area would take you to that point in the file), it would add some very helpful functionality. Other people have mentioned the lack of visible feedback for bookmarks (in the minimap). This might be a workable solution to that problem. If the colouring is also accessible using the API, it might provide an interesting entry point for someone to implement a side-by-side file comparison plugin…

0 Likes

I prefer a light scheme - usually “LAZY” - but as for the Monokais, the non-bright one is better for me because I don’t like “drastic” selection highlighting (and I like to see the syntax coloring in the selection, too).

0 Likes

I prefer Monokai over Monokai Bright, but I also use Solarized (I’m in love with Solarized Dark).

0 Likes

I use the awesome Tubster from film girl themes…

github.com/filmgirl/TextMate-Themes

0 Likes