Sublime Forum

Can someone help me install and use the CTags plugin, please

Hey

Disclaimer: Iā€™m new to Sublime Text but not to programming in general.

I love Sublime Text 2 but have been looking for some kind of ā€œGo to function definitionā€ functionality (the same as Ctrl+Clicking a function name in Netbeans/Eclipse). I read that the CTags plugin can be used to achieve this kind of thing in Sublime, but I canā€™t figure out how to install it.

Iā€™ve downloaded the source of the CTags and AAALoadFirstExtensions and have put them in their own folders in the Packages folder. Am I supposed to now do something to ā€œregisterā€ the plugins or make them work? I donā€™t see any menus (e.g. Tools -> Packages isnā€™t there). And once I have ā€œregisteredā€ the plugins, do I have to do anything such as generate a tags file manually or something?

Sorry for the confusion but I hope you can appreciate the slight confusion given that Iā€™ve only used larger IDEs.

Thanks! :smile:

0 Likes

The CTags plugin is for Sublime Text 1, and wonā€™t work with Sublime Text 2, unfortunately.

0 Likes

Ah. That explains it, then. Thanks.

Is there any development effort to get the plugin to work with v2? I would be happy to look into supporting or helping with this. :smile:

0 Likes

Would you mind possibly writing just a few lines outlining how to install and use it, please? Iā€™ll give it a go and report back if it works on v2. :smile:

0 Likes

Hi Sublimator!

Iā€™m VERY interested in installing CTags within Sublime Tex 2.
Iā€™ve cloned both CTags and AAALoadFirstExtensions repository into my ST2 Packages folder, and looked at the Linux bindings in ā€œDefault (Linux).sublime-keymapā€, but they donā€™t seem to be working (nothing happens).

Itā€™s sad ST2 donā€™t have the Tools->Packages menu, I canā€™t even check if the packaged is ā€œinstalledā€ correctly.

0 Likes

My ST2 console is showing this:

Reloading plugin /home/cristiano/.config/sublime-text-2/Packages/AAALoadFirstExtensions/pluginhelpers.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File ā€œ./sublime_plugin.pyā€, line 29, in reload_plugin
File ā€œ./pluginhelpers.pyā€, line 22, in
from ctypes import windll, create_unicode_buffer
File ā€œ.\ctypes_init_.pyā€, line 10, in
ImportError: No module named _ctypes

Iā€™ve tryed reinstalling all Python2.6 packages but didnā€™t work to fix the problem.

0 Likes

hi iā€™m on ubuntu 10.10 and sublime text 2

iā€™ve downloaded ctags for st2 here:
github.com/SublimeText/CTags

then created my tag file in this way:

$ cd /absolute_path_of_my_cpp_framework/ $ ctags -R *
then opened /home/me/.config/sublime-text-2/Packages/CTagss/CTags.sublime-settings
and added:

"extra_tag_files" : ".gemtags", "/absolute_path_of_my_cpp_framework/tags"]

but if i open sublime text, save a new .cpp file, write ofPoint (a class of the framework iā€™m using), press ctrl+tā€¦ no new tab with definition is open.

sorry iā€™m new to sublime text and to ctags, how can i resolve?

0 Likes