Sublime Forum

Soda Theme - New Sublime Text 2 UI theme

[quote=“buymeasoda”]
2) They are not visible, then when you hover over the tab, they become visible
Is 2 what you are experiencing?[/quote]

Yes it is, latest dv build and up-to-date theme from github.

0 Likes

[quote=“mehigh”]The buttons in the find or replace bottom box have white text on light gray background, which makes it hard to read:
cl.ly/8kcy

On Win7, running Build: 2076 of ST2[/quote]

Control over the text colour for these buttons was added by Jon in a later build (Build 2084, Release Date: 20 July 2011) which is only currently available if you’re running the install from the dev channel. When the changes from those dev builds make their way into a stable release, or for people running the latest dev build, the text renders as black.

Dev install link is sublimetext.com/dev if you’re keen to get the latest Sublime Text 2 working version.

0 Likes

I think I’ll be removing the show close button display on hover, in favour of matching what the latest dev builds have. Which is: If show tabs is on the tabs always show and if show tabs if off, they never show. That what you were hoping for in terms of behaviour?

0 Likes

I really like your Soda Dark theme. I of course like to tweak thing so might I suggest that you move the Theme - Soda folder out of the User folder and place in in the main Packages folder. This way a user could create a Soda Dark.sublime-theme file in their User folder to allow overriding some of the setting without needing to changing the original file. This was what I was doing with the Default theme.

Another option would be to move all themes into a Packages/Themes folder and that would contain all themes where the *.sublime-theme files would be in the Themes folder and all graphics would be in the Theme_Name folders, i.e. Default, Soda Dark\ etc. One of the drawbacks I see with the approach is version control of separate theme packages would be difficult.

Dan

0 Likes

I think you’re right, that /Packages is probably the better choice rather than /Packages/User. And if that setup lets you have convenient access to overriding any of the theme settings easily then it makes even more sense.

I took a gamble on my interpretation of what the “User” folder might be for, and from some of the discussions I’ve had, it looks like it’s more for the individual users customisation, rather than general, third party / non-core (aka not shipped by default) customisations.

There were a few points raised over on the GitHub page about it: github.com/buymeasoda/soda-theme/issues/10

Perhaps Jon, you’d be able to confirm, should the theme be moved to /Packages? Is that the preferred location for things like a UI theme?

Suggestion: One of the ideas for circumventing pathing issues with theme assets could be to path from the theme file location down relatively, rather than making paths relative to the fixed /Packages starting point (more details on the github issues page). Then it wouldn’t matter if the theme was placed directly in /Packages, or /Packages/User as the assets would always be referencable.

0 Likes

User isn’t the right place, I’d suggest making a package called ‘Theme - Soda’, with two files in it, ‘Soda Light.sublime-theme’ and ‘Soda Dark.sublime-theme’: basically what you’ve got now, but in a package of its own, rather than under User.

Theme relative paths are a little bit tricky. Themes themselves don’t naturally have a path - when loading, all files across all packages named ‘Soda Light.sublime-theme’ are loaded and merged, and the result used for the theme. It would be reasonable to preprocess the data though, perhaps replacing ‘$package’ in strings with the package of the file in question before the merging step.

0 Likes

The new dark updates are lovely! I think there are only 2 things left sort of bugging me.

• I think the scrollbar track could use the same treatment the status bar got (which is perfect now btw!)
  • Not sure if it’s just on my end but text labels everywhere seem to be 1-2px above being vertically centered. Namely the panel buttons (find, replace, etc.)
    , status bar, and selected files / folders in the side panel. (Linux, Arch, x86_64) Can take some screenshots if you’d like.

Keep up the great work.

0 Likes

Soda Dark is really pleasing the to the eye Nice Job

0 Likes

Really, do you think panels could be just a bit darker in “Soda Dark”? …I wish they were, they’re a bit too light for my taste :S

(Just a bit, to match the status bar tone)

0 Likes

[quote=“buymeasoda”]
I think I’ll be removing the show close button display on hover, in favour of matching what the latest dev builds have. Which is: If show tabs is on the tabs always show and if show tabs if off, they never show. That what you were hoping for in terms of behaviour?[/quote]

Actually it doesn’t matter as long as I can turn of close buttons completely. I keep hitting them by accident when using mouse.

0 Likes

Cool. If you update to the latest version, and have your “show_tab_close_buttons” set to false, you won’t ever see the close buttons now, hover or otherwise.

0 Likes

Ok, good to know. I’ll look at making the change to move it to /Packages. Will update here when that happens, and via the github page as people who git cloned the theme will get broken image references until they relocate their theme folder from inside /Packages/User. That’ll be fun :wink:

0 Likes

PLEASE NOTE: Theme folder location has now been relocated from “Packages/User” to “Packages” in the latest update

The theme has now been updated to work when placed inside the Packages folder instead of inside Packages/User. If you have cloned the theme into the User folder, you will see a broken theme (with red backgrounds) on the next git pull. To correct this issue, move the “Theme - Soda folder” from inside User to inside Packages.

See GitHub: Theme location issue https://github.com/buymeasoda/soda-theme/issues/10 and “Sublime Forum: Theme location discussion” (this thread) https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/how-to-create-a-new-language/47/1#p11550 for more details.

0 Likes

Change also on github Soda design screen, the User/ path :smile:

0 Likes

Try a refresh…everything looks updated to me on github, including the documentation.

Thanks for all the great work buymeasoda!

0 Likes

I’ve been playing around with this with some success. It seems though, that it only applies the last loaded Widget.sublime-settings file to take effect. Is that the expected behaviour?

I have the assets set up like this:

Packages/
    /Theme - Soda
        Soda Dark.sublime-theme
        Soda Light.sublime-theme
        /Soda Dark
            Widget.sublime-settings
            Widget - Soda Dark.tmTheme
        /Soda Light
            Widget.sublime-settings
            Widget - Soda Light.tmTheme

From here, I was hoping to have the Widget.sublime-settings file loaded that related to the selected theme.

So if “Soda Dark” was loaded, it would ideally use the Widget file from “Soda Dark/Widget.sublime-settings”, which contains a single rule pointing to the tmTheme file that allows control over the text fields.

I’m guessing the way things are set up that it pulls in both Widget files inside “Theme - Soda” and then whatever the last one pulled in, being the one that’s applied?

If that’s the case, it looks like I’d need to break the theme variants into their own separate “Packages” level theme folders if I want per variant widget control.

0 Likes

Good point, Widget.sublime-settings isn’t actually a great option for this. 2088 will now read from ‘Widget - Soda Light.sublime-settings’ if the current theme is Soda Light.

There’s a bunch of other theming changes in 2088, which will unfortunately break Soda again. Things should settle down now on the theming side of things, so hopefully that’s the last of the breakage. The next regular build will be out in a few days, which will resolve the issues with 2076 and Soda.

Let me know if you’d like a patch for the Soda themes to integrate the rules for the Lion style overlay scroll bars.

0 Likes

The sidebar is no longer working correctly in Soda with 2088. Hope we get a fix soon, I’m addicted to Soda. :smile:

0 Likes

… said Jon.

0 Likes

I’ve fixed the light theme for 2088, for anyone who has no patience:

github.com/rdougan/soda-theme/b … lime-theme

0 Likes