Sublime Forum

Project Sidebar

First off I want to say I love Sublime 2. I’m using it exclusively now. But one thing that bugs me and doesn’t seem to “work” as I expect is the project side bar. This is one thing I really miss from TextMate + Missing Drawer. I’ll be more specific with some bullet point items:

• When I click on a file in “Folders” and it’s already under “File” it doesn’t get highlighted at all. It feels weird. The shortcut “Files” is nice, but sometimes I click on a file that is already open and get thrown off by it not selecting. I should be able to select both, no matter if it’s the same file or not.

• Having the option to disable “Files” would be option. I find myself using the Tabs more and ignoring “Files”.

• Icons. “File” and “Folders” is nice, but I like how Xcode does its project side bar. You have files, then you have “Groups”. Xcode doesn’t distinguish between actual “Folders” and “Groups” though… (unless you look at its properties). Would be nice if it was like Xcode’s project side bar, but “Groups” had a different non-folder icon. Why do I want this? Flexibility of having a “Group” anywhere in the directory tree even though it’s “Virtual”.

That is really my biggest complaint about the side bar. I have a few other smaller suggestions in other areas, but this is the major one for me.

Last thing: Is there any Git support through a plugin or something? Built in support would be awesome (with submodules).

0 Likes

[quote=“Luke”]That is really my biggest complaint about the side bar. I have a few other smaller suggestions in other areas, but this is the major one for me.

Last thing: Is there any Git support through a plugin or something? Built in support would be awesome (with submodules).[/quote]

My thing is that we really need built in FTP support for putting/getting files. But probably could be done in a plugin if I could be bothered.

There is a Git Plugin, check Plugin Announcements, but I think it’s OSX only? There is a Gist plugin which works in Windows (I’m using it too).

0 Likes

FTP, or even SFTP, is really slow. FTP isn’t even standard, and every server does it differently (SFTP is actually SSH, which is standard). That’s why in many FTP clients SFTP is much more reliable. In the FTP realm Sublime needs better integration with existing FTP clients. I use YummyFTP and it cooperates with editors very well, but only with TextMate and other editors. For example when I open a file Yummy knows when the file is open. If I try to re-open it warns me and gives me a dialog with options. Once I close that file it knows and doesn’t bother me when I try to open it again. Since I switched to Sublime Yummy doesn’t know when the file gets closed and always warns me.

So I don’t think FTP support needs to be built in because he would have to implement his own “engine”, which is more trouble than it’s worth. With Git Sublime could use command line options (I think there is a plugin interface). The point is there is an existing framework to plug-into with Git. Dreamweaver has built in FTP support and I don’t trust it. It’s been around for years. I have more faith in my dedicated clients.

For now I use a program called Gitbox, which works quite well.

0 Likes