Sublime Forum

Soda Theme - New Sublime Text 2 UI theme

I’ve been playing around with this with some success. It seems though, that it only applies the last loaded Widget.sublime-settings file to take effect. Is that the expected behaviour?

I have the assets set up like this:

Packages/
    /Theme - Soda
        Soda Dark.sublime-theme
        Soda Light.sublime-theme
        /Soda Dark
            Widget.sublime-settings
            Widget - Soda Dark.tmTheme
        /Soda Light
            Widget.sublime-settings
            Widget - Soda Light.tmTheme

From here, I was hoping to have the Widget.sublime-settings file loaded that related to the selected theme.

So if “Soda Dark” was loaded, it would ideally use the Widget file from “Soda Dark/Widget.sublime-settings”, which contains a single rule pointing to the tmTheme file that allows control over the text fields.

I’m guessing the way things are set up that it pulls in both Widget files inside “Theme - Soda” and then whatever the last one pulled in, being the one that’s applied?

If that’s the case, it looks like I’d need to break the theme variants into their own separate “Packages” level theme folders if I want per variant widget control.

0 Likes

Good point, Widget.sublime-settings isn’t actually a great option for this. 2088 will now read from ‘Widget - Soda Light.sublime-settings’ if the current theme is Soda Light.

There’s a bunch of other theming changes in 2088, which will unfortunately break Soda again. Things should settle down now on the theming side of things, so hopefully that’s the last of the breakage. The next regular build will be out in a few days, which will resolve the issues with 2076 and Soda.

Let me know if you’d like a patch for the Soda themes to integrate the rules for the Lion style overlay scroll bars.

0 Likes

The sidebar is no longer working correctly in Soda with 2088. Hope we get a fix soon, I’m addicted to Soda. :smile:

0 Likes

… said Jon.

0 Likes

I’ve fixed the light theme for 2088, for anyone who has no patience:

github.com/rdougan/soda-theme/b … lime-theme

0 Likes

[quote=“rdougan”]I’ve fixed the light theme for 2088, for anyone who has no patience:

github.com/rdougan/soda-theme/b … lime-theme[/quote]

Thank you!

0 Likes

Great, I’ve started to play around with this in 2088. Looking good so far.

I’ve made some adjustments to light and dark to accommodate the sidebar and overlay panel changes. Should at least be back to being functional again. For anyone tracking the main repo, try an update and things should be working again.

No worries. Where would be the fun if we weren’t leap frogging on the edge :wink: I’m more than happy to try and keep up and adjust as needed. All of the new dev changes are most welcomed from my perspective and the theme control is really coming along nicely.

I might update the readme to make it clearer that the themes are beta and tracking the dev build, which may result in breakages along the way.

Thanks, think I should be right. I’ve had look at the default theme and work you’ve done there. I’m looking to adjust the theme to integrate the new overlay scroll bars soon, but had some design tweaks planned for it, which is the cause of the delay there. Hopefully the existing scrollbars are functional for everybody until then.

0 Likes

Yah-hah! Soda is looking nicer still :smiley:

By far the best theme available (although pretty much the only one) :wink:

0 Likes

Wow, a truly beautiful theme. This should definitely be considered as the default UI.

I tweaked my own DobDark syntax theme so that it harmonises with Soda Dark. Result here: github.com/charlesr/DobDark-tmTheme

0 Likes

Perfect! I use DobDark Syntax as my default!

This is brilliant!

0 Likes

Beautiful. I like it.

0 Likes

FYI, background_color was still left in the quick_panel definition, it is no longer used.

0 Likes

The latest changes to Soda have been committed.

• Lion overlay scrollbars have been added with refined graphics for light and dark themes.
  • Original scrollbars remain for anyone who sets the overlay scrollbars flag to disabled.
  • Some contrast / highlight adjustments to the quick panel (goto anything) colours.
  • Fix for rendering issue with project launcher window.
  • Removed remaining legacy rules that were superseded with the latest build.

I’ve also updated the theme challenges / ideas wiki to reflect the progress of app features that have been added in recent builds of ST2 for themes. https://github.com/buymeasoda/soda-theme/wiki/Theme-challenges-and-ideas

Thanks to everyone submitting pull requests and bug reports, that’s been very helpful.

0 Likes

Love the theme!

Quick question. I’ve changed the font & size in the sidebar and tabs but I have a little problem. The text in the sidebar is fine, but the text in the tabs is cut off. Any way to fix that? I’ve tried changing the margins, but that only moved the text up or down without actually increasing the vertical size of the text area.

As you can see in the screenshot, the p and g are cut off on the tabs only.

0 Likes

+1

It’d be wise of ST2 to introduce a theme preference option similar to that of the color schemes, if only because this is so fantastic :smile: Thanks

0 Likes

I’m not sure about that one. Is it potentially not a theme issue?

At a guess, I’m wondering if it’s related to glyph rendering in the core app. Jon might be able to tell us, and I’m happy to try and resolve it if it turns out to be theme related.

0 Likes

A new update to Soda theme has been released:

• New Quick panel design (Goto anything, Command palette) for both light and dark themes

• Tweaks to the text input field design

• Customised the text input field background and text colours to match the theme design (added widget settings and widget theme file)

• Adjustments to the Project Search window

I’ve also expanded on the theme challenges documentation with some additional information, in particular I would love to get some help with these:

• Rendering issue with quick panel result rows (Screenshot
    )

• [FIXED] Background artifact colour on “Preserve case” and “Highlight matches” button icons (Screenshot
    ) (FIXED: User error :wink: Turned out that I had “draw_center: false” on there)

• “Bookmark” and “Mark” icons appear to be hard coded to reference the assets in the default theme folder, are these customisable with the theme API?

• Overflow indicator shadows are inset on widget fields due to content_margin for theme text field design. This one might be unavoidable (Screenshot
    )

0 Likes

Jon, I proceeded with your suggestion of using a widget settings file and widget scheme file to control the text input field design. This has worked out well, and hopefully people will be happy with it. One thing that came out of it though, was that the colour scheme files are getting picked up by the main application and added to the colour scheme menu in the “Preferences -> Color Scheme” area.

It’s not really a problem, but since the widget schemes aren’t useful as general colour schemes, it does add some unneeded entries to the menu.

Perhaps you might want to take a similar approach as you did with parsing the widget settings files and use a file naming convention for these theme widget scheme files that will allow them to be be ignored for the Color Scheme menu.

For example, I have named the theme widget scheme file in a similar manner to the widget settings file:

Widget - Soda Dark.sublime-settings
Widget - Soda Dark.tmTheme

Tapping into the “Widget - *.tmTheme” format for filtering theme based widget schemes might be a good way to keep them out of the Color Scheme menu. Or if you have another approach that allows them to be filtered out of peoples app wide scheme menu, then I’m happy to change my implementation.

Ian

0 Likes

Awesome, thank you! Jon, please include this theme with the application.

0 Likes

This theme is fantastic, I did a combination of the two though, cl.ly/97Ex.

0 Likes