Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Help -- I can't type!

Help -- I can't type!

Postby oats on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:49 am

Somehow with the latest Dev 2099, I accidentally got into a mode where the blinking caret turned into a blinking underscore. This is on OS X. It said "command mode" in the status bar... I quit ST and restarted, and still the underscore was present, and it would not allow me to type anything! I'm sure I'm an idiot, but I don't know how to get out of this mode.
oats

Re: Help -- I can't type!

Postby ehamiter on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:55 am

Sounds like you're in vintage mode. Open up your Global.sublime-settings (in another text editor, if necessary) and put this in there:

"ignored_packages": ["Vintage"]

I think "v" quits that mode, too.
ehamiter

Postby oats on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:39 pm

There is no other indication that I'm in that mode, other than I can't type and the _ cursor. I have used VIM a long time ago, and I remember typing "ESC" then :q to quit. But I can't seem to do that either. I moved the Vintage package to an ignored_packages folder, restarted sublime, and still no luck. :x

Another strange thing: if i open a new file, i can type, but if I try to type in any of the files which were already open in my project, it doesn't work. I'm wondering if this is a bug? I'm using the latest 2100 release on OS X.
oats

Postby adzenith on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:30 am

I experienced this same thing around the time Vintage came out—if you just close all your buffers and reopen them you should be good to go. I haven't seen the problem since.
adzenith

Postby ajpalkovic on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Eugh, I got bitten by this today. Closing all files works, but still annoying. It happened at startup for me, hot exit didn't help. Not really sure what other info I can give you.
ajpalkovic

Postby daniellindsley on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Also got bit by this today. Haven't closed out all buffers yet, but a quit + edit "Global.sublime-settings" + starting ST2 at least lets me edit (thought the cursor still looks wrong).
daniellindsley

Postby jps on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:24 am

Just to be clear, for everyone who's had this, have you changed your ignored_packages setting (at any time) to enable Vintage?
jps
Site Admin

Postby wbond on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:50 am

I've only experienced it on Windows, and I enabled and disabled Vintage to fix it. It ended up happening a few times while I was running ST2 on Windows, but I only really do that for testing. I have not experienced it at all on Linux.
wbond

Postby ajpalkovic on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:54 am

Yea, I accidentally downgraded to 2091 today (it was early), so I think it still had the vintage package there, but it wasn't disabled. I quickly reran my script, updated to 2101. Unfortunately this didn't fix the problem. I checked global settings and it still had Vintage as being ignored. I tried a few things, but ultimately, I had to do a 'real' exit and reopen sublime. I tried reopening the project / switching projects, and it had the same effect.

My guess is maybe there is a flag in sublime that says hey im in vintage mode. When I opened 2091, it loaded vintage, that was set. I did a hot exit and that was saved somewhere. I reopened 2101 and that flag was still there?
ajpalkovic

Postby adzenith on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:14 am

jps wrote:Just to be clear, for everyone who's had this, have you changed your ignored_packages setting (at any time) to enable Vintage?

Yeah, I had enabled Vintage for a little to try it out. I turned it back off and that's when the problem happened. Maybe the views got stuck in ro mode because I was in command mode when I turned Vintage off?
adzenith

Next

Return to General Discussion