Sublime Forum

Dev Build 2101

Thanks for fixing the close-file-defaults-to-unexpected-file bug, Jon. However, youā€™ve only done it when a keybinding is used. I think on middle-clicking the tab (or, presumably clicking on the cross on a tab (I have them turned off so dunno whether or not that does it)) should do it too. Every now and again Iā€™ll use the mouse rather than ctrl+w.

That is to say, that I think any time a tab is closed it should go back to previous in stack, not just when a keybinding is used. How does everyone else feel about that?

0 Likes

Agree 100%. Btw, Statusbar is far more usable now, thanks for that Jon. Would it be possible to add quick encoding menu there too?

0 Likes

I agree 100% too, and i really would like a quick syntax changer (like in textmate) in the statusbar. Is it doable ?

Thanks a lot =)

0 Likes

What about a menu that appears when you click the current syntax label in the statusbar? Perhaps you could customise it to show your favourite syntaxes. Since, I for one, only tend to use:

1. PHP
  2. JavaScript
  3. CSS
  4. HTML
  5. Python

So Iā€™d only need to ever see them!

0 Likes

Thanks Jon for the update.

[quote=ā€œdsarchā€]I agree 100% too, and i really would like a quick syntax changer (like in textmate) in the statusbar. Is it doable ?

Thanks a lot =)[/quote]

What do you mean? Is already there!

0 Likes

Whoa, thanks !

I did not thought it could be clicked as it does not change anything or have a visual sign or something like that.

I liked @jbrooksuk idea (when i click i have a really big menu, and i would like to have just 5 or 7 options, perhaps with a setting like statusbar_syntax=ā€œpythonā€, ā€œcssā€, ā€œhtmlā€, ā€œphpā€, ā€œrubyā€]

Thanks @jon and all the people in this forum that makes Sublime the great tool it is.

0 Likes

Completely untested but presumably using ignored_packages you can turn off syntax availability of the languages you donā€™t care about and theyā€™ll disappear from the menu. Added bonus is that they arenā€™t loaded in at startup = precious startup time?

Obviously this does mean that if you ever want to actually use a language youā€™ve ā€˜ignoredā€™ then you can to remove it from there, but no biggie, right?

And like I said, this is untested and for all I know ignored is just for plugins, not any kind of packageā€¦

0 Likes

No, since you can just go the usual Syntax menu and change it there. Itā€™s just that it would be nice to have the most used syntax files there.

0 Likes

Iā€™d really like an option to control the close behavior. A lot of the time when Iā€™m closing files, Iā€™m closing several that are right next to each other and very rarely are they all the most recent in the stack. Having to constantly navigate back or use the mouse would be rather annoying. Ctrl/shift + tab are customizable in this way so hopefully the close behavior can be as well.

Also speaking of the ctrl/shift + tab behavior, it would be nice if they stayed in the active area. For example when in any of the layouts other than single, the tab binds will hop between the different areas which is pretty annoying.

0 Likes

What was the clash? I was very confused when I hit cmd+option+up to go to my header file and it didnā€™t work.

0 Likes

Oops! Iā€™ll change the bindings again for the next version. Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down is no longer available on Lion, as Ctrl+Arrow keys are now the default keys for mission control (and annoyingly, it also eats ctrl+shift+arrow keys, which do the same thing as the unshifted version, just slower).

Next dev build wonā€™t be until next week though, as Iā€™m off on a short holiday until the 18th.

0 Likes

Hi,

Maybe a simple request for a next release:
Default behaviour for closing tabs (Windows): CTRL+W

When Iā€™m closing a lot of tabs, Iā€™ll keep pressing CTRL+W. But when all tabs are closed, the editor is next. Maybe itā€™s an idea to give an alert-message: ā€œAre you sure you want to exit?ā€ Or maybe remove the keybinding for closing the editor, and only use ALT+F4?

Thanks

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œhoestā€]Hi,

Maybe a simple request for a next release:
Default behaviour for closing tabs (Windows): CTRL+W

When Iā€™m closing a lot of tabs, Iā€™ll keep pressing CTRL+W. But when all tabs are closed, the editor is next. Maybe itā€™s an idea to give an alert-message: ā€œAre you sure you want to exit?ā€ Or maybe remove the keybinding for closing the editor, and only use ALT+F4?

Thanks[/quote]

If you implement this behaviour, please make it an option, since I frequently use ctrl+w to close the editor to avoid having to change my hand position to alt+f4, as ctrl+w doesnā€™t require moving your hand from the home row.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œjpsā€]The w motion in Vintage is implemented with this command, in Vintage/Default.sublime-keymap:

{ "keys": "w"], "command": "set_motion", "args": {
		"motion": "move",
		"motion_args": {"by": "stops", "sub_word_begin": true, "word_begin": true, "forward": true, "extend": true }},
		"context": {"key": "setting.command_mode"}]
	},

In Vintage, ā€œwā€ moves over sub-words, and ā€œWā€ moves over normal words (This isnā€™t exactly what happens in vi, but it is keeping in the spirit of w vs W). If you change the key binding to not stop at sub_word_begin, itā€™ll act like W, which is closer to what vi does.[/quote]

Thank you, thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been doing. Love the new status bar. p.s. hope you have a good holiday :smile:

0 Likes

Have fun Jon! You deserve it! :smiley:

0 Likes

Ah, syntax in the staus bar. And indentation. I love. :mrgreen:

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œjpsā€]

Oops! Iā€™ll change the bindings again for the next version. Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down is no longer available on Lion, as Ctrl+Arrow keys are now the default keys for mission control (and annoyingly, it also eats ctrl+shift+arrow keys, which do the same thing as the unshifted version, just slower).

Next dev build wonā€™t be until next week though, as Iā€™m off on a short holiday until the 18th.[/quote]

Strangeā€¦ maybe because Iā€™ve done an upgrade install it didnā€™t set those shortcuts by default? Thanks though! and have a good holiday!

0 Likes

I also donā€™t see the ctrl-up/down (or ctrl-shift-up/down) on my install of Lion.

ctrl-left/right do change Spaces (which I find really odd, having such a low-level keyboard shortcut for changing your space), but up/down were not set by default.

0 Likes

Would very much appreciate a setting for this, as my intended behavior for this is to select the neighboring file since that is what Iā€™m used to from e.g. Firefox. The current behavior also makes it harder to close a bunch of files at once if they werenā€™t all used in the order I want to close them.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œfirejdlā€]

Would very much appreciate a setting for this, as my intended behavior for this is to select the neighboring file since that is what Iā€™m used to from e.g. Firefox. The current behavior also makes it harder to close a bunch of files at once if they werenā€™t all used in the order I want to close them.[/quote]

Did this behavior ever get a setting? I just scoured the forums and config files, unable to locate anything like ā€œon_close_select_next_file_in_stackā€: true (or something named better! ha).

This behavior has been driving me nuts lately. I open a lot of files throughout the day, and then when I want to close many tabs in sequence, it jumps all over the place (based on the stack order), instead of selecting an adjacent tab on close.

0 Likes