Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Web browser-like history to go back to the previous focus

Re: Web browser-like history to go back to the previous focus

Postby optilude on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:02 pm

I created a patch against SublimeCodeIntel that can do this when you do "jump to definition" (alt+click or ctrl/cmd+f3).

It's at https://github.com/optilude/SublimeCodeIntel for now, though I sent Kronuz a pull request.

I was thinking about whether to make it more general, e.g. have something that worked on every change of focus. But I'm not sure how to do it so that it doesn't have a "back" action for every single movement of the caret, which seems pretty silly.
optilude

Postby optilude on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Ok, I've created a plugin for this. See this thread. Hope it's useful.
optilude

Postby firefusion on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:07 am

andreh wrote:Try the "soft_undo" and "soft_redo" commands. Per default, both are mapped to "ctrl-u" and "ctrl+shift+u" and available from the "Edit"->"Undo Selection" menu.

That works great. Thanks.
firefusion

Postby tonester on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:10 pm

I would love to see this feature added. It should work just like in XCode 4. I find it's my main mode of moving around. It needs to work between files as well as between significant edits in the same file. For example, if I'm working on a new call to function in file A, move to file B to define it, and file C to implement it. I then should be able to go back in 'history' twice to get back to file A.
tonester

Postby alexezh2 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:47 pm

https://github.com/abrookins/GotoLastEdit/ has some of this functionality but right now sublime APIs are not sufficient. One can record focus changes and edits; in order to make plugin which matches eclipse, you need ability to record position at any command.
alexezh2

Postby tonester on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm curious - how do others navigate between files?
tonester

Postby tpneumat on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:10 pm

This feature would be the final blow to the competition...and a thing I am really missing in Sublime 2. BBEdit has this, and it's called 'Jump Forward and Jump Back'. Can press CMD-` for back and CMD-Shft-` to go forward.

Not necessarily does it have to deal with navigating around multiple documents (although that would be nice), but just in same document would be a good start. So often, I search and refer to a section of code, just to copy from it, or quickly mod it, but then need to get right back to where I was. I thought this was just my scatterbrained way of working, but seems other's are accustomed to doing this too.
tpneumat

Postby izakaya27 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:43 pm

I find the Caret-History plugin useful:

https://github.com/crazycooder/Caret-History
izakaya27

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests