Sublime Forum

Ftp / sftp

It’d a nice feature, if I could edit directly on my server. Thanks.

0 Likes

http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp

Read here about this

0 Likes

Thanks. Do I need to have the files locally before?

0 Likes

@Emil

I use Transmit 4 (on OSX) and can mount a remote disk locally over ftp/sftp. Once the remote disk is mounted, Sublime see’s it as a local drive. It works perfectly.I know there is a Windows application that can achieve similar results, but I can’t recall the name right now.

Also, as a side note: With solutions like these I wonder what the value of future sublime integrated FTP is?

0 Likes

With Sublime SFTP, yes you do need to have files locally. Having files locally provides nice performance with all of the GoTo commands in ST2. It does also have some integration with version control systems, but if you are editing remote files, that probably isn’t that important.

If you are on windows and want to edit remote files you can work with WinSCP and its synchronization feature or buy something like ExpanDrive, however I’ve always found editing files over ExpanDrive to be pretty laggy.

For Linux you can use the fuse sftp filesystem to mount an sftp connection as a folder and edit from that.

On OS X, As dan mentioned, Transmit can mount remote drives, and ExpandDrive can also. I think ExpanDrive on OS X tends to be a bit more performant than the Windows version.

0 Likes

Any chance of having this into Sublime Core?

Its a little silly having to pay for an FTP plugin (even if it is $8) for a commercial editor. Almost all editors, both free and paid, I have used have an ftp upload feature.

Sublime FTP does look very nice though, and I am definitely highly considering the purchase.

0 Likes