Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Package Control: A full-featured package manager

Package Control: A full-featured package manager

Postby wbond on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:51 pm

I just released a full-featured package manager for ST2 called Package Control, you can check it out at http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/package_control. It allows for discovering, installing, upgrading and removing packages, along with automatic upgrade functionality and some other more minor stuff. I hope this makes it easier for people to try out new plugins and get the most out of ST2. The website has screenshots, simple installation instructions and documentation about usage, so go check it out!

Web Interface

There are over 125 packages available via Package Control (as of January 2012). See http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/community for a list with some general statistics.

Submitting a Package

All developers are welcome to submit their packages. Please see http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/packa ... developers for instructions.

Updates

Latest Version: 1.4.1
Released: 6 Jan, 2012

See the full changelog at http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/packa ... /changelog.
Last edited by wbond on Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 16 times in total.
wbond

Re: Package Control: A full-featured package manager

Postby wbond on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Currently it is not possible via version control, mostly because I didn't want to rely on a user having the required version control application installed on their machine to install a package. I don't think it would be a terrible idea to add a setting that would allow users to "prefer" to use git or hg for grabbing plugins from GitHub or BitBucket if they have it installed. If you open an issue at https://github.com/wbond/sublime_package_control/issues I bet we could work out a way that would be really user friendly.

And yeah, I figured after hacking some SFTP functionality for a while that I'd try my hand at making a little money off of it. I've done quite a bit of open source work, but this is my first foray into the commercial world.

ST2 is awesome that it exposes so much for plugins. I enjoyed figuring out all of the different ways that it is possible to hook in to the program.
wbond

Postby wbond on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:20 pm

@sublimator

Much appreciated! :-)
wbond

Postby adzenith on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:25 pm

sublimator wrote:
sublimator wrote:Hell, I'll buy a copy of the scp plugin just for your package manager work.

Done! :)

Bandwagon!
paypal wrote:Nikolaus, you just completed your payment.

Also it'd be sweet if there were an option like "convert all the crap you downloaded off of github into actual things tracked by this package manager" (maybe come up with a snappier name). Right now I'm going one at a time.
adzenith

Postby wbond on Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:29 am

Thanks @adzenith! Right now you can "upgrade" packages you've manually downloaded. I will add a command to automatically upgrade all upgradable packages, which should get you where you want to go.
wbond

Postby ajpalkovic on Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:58 am

sublimator wrote:I've noticed a few people have just dumped stuff to gists, myself included, and there's also quite a few people making their plugins available as pretty much their User repository in a take it all or leave it manner. So it would be cool if it could handle gists and `single file extracts` from peoples User repo online dumps.work.

Sorry, it seemed like overkill to have a repo for 1 file.
ajpalkovic

Postby ajpalkovic on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:53 am

yah, no offense taken. Idk, it doesn't seem like there is a great way. I have sublime running on 5 computers of mine now and syncing multiple plugin repos would have sucked.
ajpalkovic

Postby Anomareh on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:31 am

You could break them all out into their own repos and then make them all submodules of your SublimePlugins repo.
Anomareh

Postby wbond on Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:26 pm

Version 1.0.7 has been rolled out and your ST should automatically upgrade the next time you start it. Changes include:

• Installation of packages in a thread to prevent hanging the editor for big packages or slow connections
  • An activity indicator for all remote operations
  • Reduced parallelism for GitHub and BitBucket repositories to help prevent URL timeouts
  • A new Upgrade All Packages command
  • Some work on making package removal on Windows a little more robust
  • The Upgrade Package command no longer lists packages that can be reinstalled
wbond

Postby adzenith on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:12 pm

wbond wrote:
  • Installation of packages in a thread to prevent hanging the editor for big packages or slow connections
  • An activity indicator for all remote operations

Excellent! I was going to ask about this. Thanks!
adzenith

Next

Return to Plugin Announcements