Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Firebug Integration

Re: Firebug Integration

Postby alexrussell on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:56 am

I use it a lot but I guess you mean creating a FB plugin to talk to the an editor plugin or something? If so I have no experience there, although I believe it's all JS, CSS and XUL. What features did you have in mind?
alexrussell

Postby alexrussell on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Looks like the idea of Snapdragon is to integrate a web browser in the editor. At least, it says "Komodo Snapdragon will be based on Open Komodo, and use the Mozilla code base and feature a Scintilla-based editor for HTML, CSS, XML, Ajax, and JavaScript" which kinda suggests to me a live preview pane (like Dreamweaver I guess) where the Firebug plugin to the FF-based browser can talk to the editor. That sounds to me like a party ST2 probably cannot attend.

I think the best we can expect from ST2 is, as I said before, a plugin for ST2 that communicates with a plugin for Firebug somehow. So you need both FF and ST2 open at the same time.

But maybe I'm reading the Snapdragon blurb wrong...
alexrussell

Postby nobleach on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:43 pm

sublimator wrote:Yeah, I didn't expect it to be a 'import firebugintegration' type thing

I've browsed through the Firebug code before and found it a little difficult to comprehend though managed to hack some css code navigationfeatures in. It seems in the latest versions they actually have something like this out of the box but it's not quite as nice. It will open temporary files rather than your project file and you have to `right click- edit in sublime` rather than ctrl+click.

I've actually got a MozRepl plugin to communicate with FireFox/MozRepl via telnet and was able to set breakpoints and push/pull javascript. What I really wanna work out how to do is the html/css live editing stuff. That and I guess debugger `step into` stuff.

That's a KILLER feature that I'd love to see. RubyMine has it as a plugin, and it's incredibly useful for "pixel pushing" absolutely positioned designs.
nobleach

Postby Phunky on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:56 pm

That's really nice, i've moved on from Firebug to Web Inspector and i'd love to see something like this in Chrome also the current version of Canary is kinda close to this and does link you to the stylesheet as you have in the video but your still in Web Inspector. If you could get this functionality plus refresh on save it would be perfect :D
Phunky

Postby nobleach on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:52 am

Yeah, the decision to put the latest firebug up in the menu next to the "home" button is driving me nuts. Might be time to checkout out Chrome again.
nobleach

Postby nobleach on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:53 pm

sublimator wrote:re: moving the button, the shortcut keys f12 and ctrl+f12 have stayed the same.

Agreed. Seeing the JS errors up in the TOP vs where I've seen for the past few years is what is really getting me. It's just a disruption of workflow, no biggie. (I also don't like it when I come home to find out that my wife has moved the furniture..... ;) )
nobleach

Postby firefusion on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Is this of any use for getting live preview into sublime?

http://mozillalabs.com/chromeless
firefusion

Next

Return to Plugin Development