Sublime Forum

Navigation animations and expansion click targets in ST2

Would it be possible to make the navigation expand/collapse animations in the left navigation area optional/configurable? I routinely navigate through deep trees with it, and the animations cause an unnecessary delay as the folders fly in and out. Taken in aggregate for a deep traversal, it makes the UI feel sluggish and just slows me down, which is unusual for SublimeText which has the most generally responsive GUI editor I’ve ever used. For an example of a file tree navigation system that works as I prefer: Windows Explorer. Click a +], the tree expands instantaneously.

Additionally, the only way to expand/collapse the folders is to click the small arrow, which is a difficult target to begin with. Double-clicking a folder does nothing, when it could expand/collapse the folder and provide a secondary, much larger click target.

Thanks for the hard work. I love and bought ST and haven’t regretted it since, and have been loving the progress on ST2.

0 Likes

Yeah, this is my biggest issue with Sublime 2, it’s so annoying trying to navigate through folders.

Edit: Same for the tab close animation actually. Neither of those two add anything.

0 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly with both comments. Double click on side pane folder should expand/collapse it.

0 Likes

I don’t mind the animations so much, they add nice bit of unobtrusive flair to the UI. But I can’t count the number of times I’ve double-clicked a folder twice - even three times - before remembering it doesn’t expand.

Would love to see this!

0 Likes