Sublime Forum

Jump to end after auto-pairing?

Hey, started trying out Sublime the other day. Really liking it so far.
However there is one feature i’m missing from other editors.

If I write “”, Sublime ofcourse adds the “]” automatically and I can write what’s supposed to be in between.
However, in other editors i’ve gotten used to be able to press the TAB key after finnish writing inside the brackets (or any other auto-pairing characters/snippets) to “jump out” of the auto-paired part.

The feature I describe above may not sound like much, but I really feels much smoother when used to it.

Is this feature already available and i’m just missing it? Otherwise maybe you could add something similar in a future release.

Thanks for a great programming tool, i’m still trying it out but I feel confident already that this is the one and that i’ll be buying a license in no time.

0 Likes

+1

Had this on Eclipse, very useful.

0 Likes

Does this do a “jump out of all”-type jump out too (in your other editors)? If not, it should if/when Jon implements it.

As an example, in PHP you regularly need to address associative arrays by doing something like:echo $_GET'param'];It’d be great if, when you type echo $_GET' and you get echo $_GET'|'] that the ‘tab’ key will jump out of both sets, i.e., to echo $_GET'text']|and so on for even further nested brackets.

At the moment I just use the ‘end’ key and it’s good for most cases, but it can bite you if editing an existing line (say add a clause at the beginning of an if statement).

0 Likes

There’d be a conflict with auto complete though: at the point of pressing tab, there’d usually be text to the left of the caret, and the current behavior is for tab completion to kick in at this point.

0 Likes

You could use the “end” key

0 Likes

But what if I’m typing my code within a current line?

0 Likes