Sublime Forum

Chocolatapp

Some competition for Jon chocolatapp.com/

It seems to be a more user-friendly version of Sublime. I’ve signed up for a test, but only so I can see if there are features which I’d like to see in Sublime, which I haven’t seen mentioned already :smile:

Sublime is by far my favourite editor ever!

0 Likes

Can’t see anything more user friendly here. It just has an extra theme and language manager module and split editing one file.

0 Likes

Just want to point out that in Sublime Text you can split-edit a file. Change your layout to two columns, and use File>Clone File to get two views.

However, Sublime Text can’t jump to any symbol in the project. That would be really useful.

0 Likes

What this tells me is that the Sublime homepage needs a refresh. Badly. So many Mac users will reject apps out of hand if the initial look and feel isn’t right. That applies to the website of the app, too. If a Mac user visited that site then Sublime, I fear they’d assume Chocolat is the superior product, which I don’t think it is. I’m really liking wbond’s clean, tight style atm… :smile:

0 Likes

I did offer Jon a new website layout etc.

0 Likes

IMO Sublime’s killer feature over Chocolat and most other editors is that it is cross platform. I dev on both Windows and Mac and being able to take my editor and all my tweaks with me is HUGE.

0 Likes

It’s possible for a single file. (Ctrl+R). Don’t think it would be that hard to do that project wide, but could require more parsing and caching imho.

0 Likes

The CTags package can be of help with regards to symbol navigation:

github.com/SublimeText/CTags

0 Likes

[quote=“jbrooksuk”]

I did offer Jon a new website layout etc.[/quote]

And I offered him a new icon. Jon, please take 2 minutes from programming to say “yes” to those who are offering to help.

0 Likes

[quote=“aparajita”]

I did offer Jon a new website layout etc.

And I offered him a new icon. Jon, please take 2 minutes from programming to say “yes” to those who are offering to help.[/quote]

And that would be excellent!

0 Likes

How?! I’ve always just gone into 2 column layout mode and opened the same file but if we have actual support that would be soooo much better :smiley:

0 Likes

File> Clone File.
The name of the command is quite awkward… I think I only know what it does because I was using the dev build when it was introduced. It used to be called something like “New view into buffer” which I thought was more descriptive—the file isn’t actually getting cloned.

0 Likes