Sublime Forum

Dev Build 2105

Do you think indent guides should be enabled by default?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Dev Build 2105 is out now, fixing a couple of project related regressions in 2104. Sorry about the project conversion issue in 2104 - I do try hard to avoid these kind of things.

Indent guides have also recieved a tweak, with the active one being highlighted. The color can be configured with the ‘activeGuide’ key in your .tmTheme file (the key for the normal guides has changed from ‘guideColor’ to ‘guide’), and it can be disabled altogether with the highlight_active_indent_guide setting.

I haven’t made up my mind if indent guides should be turned on by default or not - they seem popular, but can be visually distracting (IMHO, at least). I’ve attached a poll to this post - please let me know what you think.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]
Indent guides have also recieved a tweak, with the active one being highlighted. The color can be configured with the ‘activeGuide’ key in your .tmTheme file (the key for the normal guides has changed from ‘guideColor’ to ‘guide’), and it can be disabled altogether with the highlight_active_indent_guide setting.

I haven’t made up my mind if indent guides should be turned on by default or not - they seem popular, but can be visually distracting (IMHO, at least). I’ve attached a poll to this post - please let me know what you think.[/quote]

Instead of using a solid line why not try a dotted one

0 Likes

+1

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]Dev Build 2105 is out now, fixing a couple of project related regressions in 2104. Sorry about the project conversion issue in 2104 - I do try hard to avoid these kind of things.

I haven’t made up my mind if indent guides should be turned on by default or not - they seem popular, but can be visually distracting (IMHO, at least). I’ve attached a poll to this post - please let me know what you think.[/quote]

I think that this feature should be part of the oficial releases. If someone dont like, just go and disable it. Keep up with the good work.

0 Likes

[quote=“guillermooo”]

+1[/quote]

This should be in the optional settings to.

0 Likes

Thanks for the update.
I think the indent guides have a little bug. It highlight one tab behind.
Check out this: screencast.com/t/xxR38jQd In the same piece of code, if I’m at the begining of the <section tag it doesnt highlight the current indent tab (like i guess it should).
So… Meanwhile, back to AJ awesome plugin :smiley:

0 Likes

When calling sublime_text from the command line, it would be nice if -n would cause a new unsaved project/session to be created when the application is not currently open. Right now the only way to get a clean session is to call sublime_text (which loads the default session from when the program was last closed) and then call sublime_text -n folder_name to get the folder in a new session by itself.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]

In the current state, too distracting for me too.
But sometimes very useful with the active one being highlighted.
I disabled it and created a shortcut to toggle the settings when it’s needed.

Maybe an option to try is:
when highlight_active_indent_guide is enabled and draw_indent_guides is disabled, only draw the active indent guide.

Just an idea, not certain of the result.

0 Likes

I voted for leaving them ON by default simply for discoverability. IMO it would be easier for me as a new user to decide I didn’t like them and find the option to turn them off than it would be to discover they existed and the option to turn them on.

0 Likes

I found a quirk with the new indent lines.

I have my indent settings set to use 2 spaces. If I ‘double’ indent a section of code w/ 4 spaces then I see duplicate indention guides.The ‘middle’ guide in the screenshot is what I’m calling the duplicate.

I would suggest not showing the indent guide if it is at the same top and bottom position as the guide before it. Applying this logic to the screenshot would mean the middle guide would not show since it starts on line 3 and ends on line 5, the same as the guide before it.

Also notable is that when there are duplicate guides like this it is impossible to make the left-most guide highlight.

0 Likes

Setting highlight_active_indent_guide to false is not working for me.

0 Likes

Should project files named .sublime-project still be getting named .sublime-project.sublime-workspace?

Also with projects being the focus right now, are there any plans for projects remembering the state of the sidebar? Whenever I switch between projects I find myself having to minimize the Files/Groups sections and reexpand the folders I had open under Folders.

0 Likes

An annoyance with recent versions: when I hit ctrl-F to “Find”, the find panel is toggled up or down. I would rather ctrl-F always brings the find panel to the front. If I want to dismiss the find panel, ESC always works, and that’s what I usually do. (It’s a handy key that dismisses whatever panel, not just find.)

The problem I have is that I search for something, hit F3 a few times, and after reading some code, I sometimes forget if the find panel is the active panel or not – when I hit ctrl-F to search for a new keyword, the find panel is hidden, and as I type the keyword I want to search for, it ends up in my text document instead.

0 Likes

Totally agree with the above. +1 for each

0 Likes

If I were ever seriously worried about losing stuff, I wouldn’t be using nightlys :smile: But I still appreciate the effort to not break stuff.

Small bug with the indentation guides, the active ones don’t always show up on the whole column. Screenshot is below.

Additionally, as some people point out the active one shows up one tab higher than where they should. My screenshot shows that too.
I’m torn on this. On the one hand, I think it’s smart to do that for normal statements. However, for lines that are indented, (like for loops, html tags) I hate it. Maybe you could use the grammar indent rules to determine if it should show the active guide one column higher or at the current column, if that makes sense. Like, if the indent rules say dont indent this line, then do what sublime does now. If the indent rules say indent the next line. then show the active guide at the beginning of the text, like the beginning of the for loop, not two spaces before the for loop.

Lastly, one last tiny bit of polish that would be nice if you’re up for it. If a line is indented say 8 spaces and I click at column 2, it will draw an indent guide at column 6. I think if I click/arrow key before the first non-whitespace character, it should draw the indent guide where the cursor is. If I click after the first non-whitespace character, it draws the indent guide at that first non-whitespace character.

0 Likes

If you took a vote I’ll bet most people would want better highlighting of matching pairs than indent guides.

0 Likes

Gotta admit that I agree with this. The simple underlining takes quite a bit of focus to find right now. Definitely not something you can passively acknowledge.

0 Likes

+1

0 Likes

[quote=“ajpalkovic”]Additionally, as some people point out the active one shows up one tab higher than where they should. My screenshot shows that too.
I’m torn on this. On the one hand, I think it’s smart to do that for normal statements. However, for lines that are indented, (like for loops, html tags) I hate it. Maybe you could use the grammar indent rules to determine if it should show the active guide one column higher or at the current column, if that makes sense. Like, if the indent rules say dont indent this line, then do what sublime does now. If the indent rules say indent the next line. then show the active guide at the beginning of the text, like the beginning of the for loop, not two spaces before the for loop.[/quote]

Kinda hard to parse what you mean :s Maybe a picture? I think the expected behavior would be to check the character to the right of the guide, if it’s whitespace or the end of the line show it, if it’s anything else don’t. Being able to see where lines that contain nothing but whitespace are indented to is really important, especially in languages like Python.

0 Likes

[quote=“Anomareh”]

[quote=“ajpalkovic”]Additionally, as some people point out the active one shows up one tab higher than where they should. My screenshot shows that too.
I’m torn on this. On the one hand, I think it’s smart to do that for normal statements. However, for lines that are indented, (like for loops, html tags) I hate it. Maybe you could use the grammar indent rules to determine if it should show the active guide one column higher or at the current column, if that makes sense. Like, if the indent rules say dont indent this line, then do what sublime does now. If the indent rules say indent the next line. then show the active guide at the beginning of the text, like the beginning of the for loop, not two spaces before the for loop.[/quote]

Kinda hard to parse what you mean :s Maybe a picture? I think the expected behavior would be to check the character to the right of the guide, if it’s whitespace or the end of the line show it, if it’s anything else don’t. Being able to see where lines that contain nothing but whitespace are indented to is really important, especially in languages like Python.[/quote]

Let’s say I have this code:

TAB TAB if(true) {
TAB TAB TAB doSomething();
TAB TAB }

Right now, if I click anywhere on line 0 or line 2, sublime shows an active indent guide to the right of the first tab.
If I click anywhere on line 1, sublime shows an active indent guide to the right of the second tab.

I suggest this:
If I click before the if on line 0, it shows an active indent guide at the tab closest to where I clicked.
If I click anywhere at or after the if, it shows an active indent guide to the right of the second tab. (This is because the grammar would say that line 0 changes the indent of the next line, so it shows the active indent guide at that line. The idea is the active indent guide runs from the ‘i’ to the ‘}’)

If I click before doSomething, it shows an active indent guide at the tab closest to where I clicked.
If I clicked on or after doSomething, it shows an active indent guide to the right of the second tab. (This is what sublime does now. The idea is this line does not change the indent level, show show the active indent guide at the ‘parent scope’).

0 Likes