Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Dev Build 2105

Do you think indent guides should be enabled by default?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes : 52

Dev Build 2105

Postby jps on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:30 pm

Dev Build 2105 is out now, fixing a couple of project related regressions in 2104. Sorry about the project conversion issue in 2104 - I do try hard to avoid these kind of things.

Indent guides have also recieved a tweak, with the active one being highlighted. The color can be configured with the 'activeGuide' key in your .tmTheme file (the key for the normal guides has changed from 'guideColor' to 'guide'), and it can be disabled altogether with the highlight_active_indent_guide setting.

I haven't made up my mind if indent guides should be turned on by default or not - they seem popular, but can be visually distracting (IMHO, at least). I've attached a poll to this post - please let me know what you think.
jps
Site Admin

Re: Dev Build 2105

Postby capnhud on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:43 pm

jps wrote:Indent guides have also recieved a tweak, with the active one being highlighted. The color can be configured with the 'activeGuide' key in your .tmTheme file (the key for the normal guides has changed from 'guideColor' to 'guide'), and it can be disabled altogether with the highlight_active_indent_guide setting.

I haven't made up my mind if indent guides should be turned on by default or not - they seem popular, but can be visually distracting (IMHO, at least). I've attached a poll to this post - please let me know what you think.

Instead of using a solid line why not try a dotted one
capnhud

Postby guillermooo on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:50 pm

capnhud wrote:Instead of using a solid line why not try a dotted one

+1
guillermooo

Postby joaodrp on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:50 pm

jps wrote:Dev Build 2105 is out now, fixing a couple of project related regressions in 2104. Sorry about the project conversion issue in 2104 - I do try hard to avoid these kind of things.

Indent guides have also recieved a tweak, with the active one being highlighted. The color can be configured with the 'activeGuide' key in your .tmTheme file (the key for the normal guides has changed from 'guideColor' to 'guide'), and it can be disabled altogether with the highlight_active_indent_guide setting.

I think that this feature should be part of the oficial releases. If someone dont like, just go and disable it. Keep up with the good work.
joaodrp

Postby joaodrp on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:51 pm

guillermooo wrote:
capnhud wrote:Instead of using a solid line why not try a dotted one

+1

This should be in the optional settings to.
joaodrp

Postby iamntz on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks for the update.
I think the indent guides have a little bug. It highlight one tab behind.
Check out this: http://screencast.com/t/xxR38jQd In the same piece of code, if I'm at the begining of the <section tag it doesnt highlight the current indent tab (like i guess it should).
So... Meanwhile, back to AJ awesome plugin :D
iamntz

Postby wbond on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:00 pm

When calling sublime_text from the command line, it would be nice if -n would cause a new unsaved project/session to be created when the application is not currently open. Right now the only way to get a clean session is to call sublime_text (which loads the default session from when the program was last closed) and then call sublime_text -n folder_name to get the folder in a new session by itself.
wbond

Postby bizoo on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:05 pm

jps wrote:I haven't made up my mind if indent guides should be turned on by default or not - they seem popular, but can be visually distracting (IMHO, at least). I've attached a poll to this post - please let me know what you think.

In the current state, too distracting for me too.
But sometimes very useful with the active one being highlighted.
I disabled it and created a shortcut to toggle the settings when it's needed.

Maybe an option to try is:
when highlight_active_indent_guide is enabled and draw_indent_guides is disabled, only draw the active indent guide.

Just an idea, not certain of the result.
bizoo

Postby digiduck on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:20 pm

jps wrote:I haven't made up my mind if indent guides should be turned on by default or not - they seem popular, but can be visually distracting (IMHO, at least). I've attached a poll to this post - please let me know what you think.

I voted for leaving them ON by default simply for discoverability. IMO it would be easier for me as a new user to decide I didn't like them and find the option to turn them off than it would be to discover they existed and the option to turn them on.
digiduck

Postby digiduck on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:27 pm

I found a quirk with the new indent lines.

I have my indent settings set to use 2 spaces. If I 'double' indent a section of code w/ 4 spaces then I see duplicate indention guides.The 'middle' guide in the screenshot is what I'm calling the duplicate.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (4.98 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

I would suggest not showing the indent guide if it is at the same top and bottom position as the guide before it. Applying this logic to the screenshot would mean the middle guide would not show since it starts on line 3 and ends on line 5, the same as the guide before it.

Also notable is that when there are duplicate guides like this it is impossible to make the left-most guide highlight.
Last edited by digiduck on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
digiduck

Next

Return to General Discussion