Sublime Forum

Goto anything: go to open file in a different group?

First of all, I just want to say, the more I explore Sublime Text 2, the more amazed I am. You’ve done a fantastic job with it.

I have a question about my new best friend Goto Anything. If I use GA in a group that doesn’t contain a file, it opens a copy of the file in that group even if the file is open in another group. I’d like to set it so that I navigate to that file in a different group, rather than opening up another copy of it. Goto File also has this behavior. Is there a file setting that I’m missing? I tried looking at the settings.

Thanks again. Bought a license today, and it’s already been worth it.

–Patrick

1 Like

+1 – I want the same behavior: go to that open tab; don’t open a copy of the file.

0 Likes

+1 – I also want this behaviour, except I’m using Sublime Text 3

0 Likes

+1 – I agree. This would be super useful for working on large projects where tabs can get unruly.

0 Likes

+1. And same thing with goto definition.
This new behavior compare to ST2 and early ST3 is suppose to fix some issue (i’m not sure to understand which), but it would be nice to have a simple setting to choose between the two approach.

0 Likes

In Sublime 3.2.1 it is still a problem — Go to anything opens a new view into file in the current group even if this file is already present in another group.

I consider this is a bug since it defeats the purpose of groups/panes: to organise files in a project by some criteria without clutter and duplication.

Let’s say I’m working on a simple HTML site. In the left group I may have HTML files and in the right one I will have CSS files. I’ve been working on HTML and then decided to switch to a CSS file. Instead of switching to the already open instance of that file in the “CSS” group, a new view into that file gets open the “HTML” group. Therefore it doesn’t even make sense to organise views by groups since it becomes shuffled together very quickly.

I tried this plugin from @tito but it didn’t work for me the way described here.

0 Likes

+1 Please fix this problem! I’m on the latest version, build 4113, on MacOS. See also https://superuser.com/questions/1327172/how-to-find-the-tab-of-an-open-file-by-name-in-all-sublime-text-windows
And this issue is also discussed here: https://github.com/sublimehq/sublime_text/issues/1768

0 Likes

Any news on this? It’s a something of a deal-breaker unless I can find a fix. I’ve just spent a couple of weeks transitioning from ST2 to ST4, with the million little jobs around porting custom plugins, macros, syntax highlights, keymaps, etc. and now I thought I was done only to find this find_in_files problem.

What’s the point of having view groups if I can’t have the find buffer in a different group to the file I’m working on, so I can see them side-by-side? If I move the buffer to a different group and double-click a search result, instead of moving to the matching line in the view I already have open (in a different group), I get a new view open in the same group where the find buffer is. So now I can’t see my find buffer any more.

This is a significant regression from ST2 in terms of general usability.

0 Likes

Your Find in Files issue is unrelated with Goto Anything and thus off-topic here.

That said, it seems navigating to find in files results via F4 re-uses already open files as of ST4170+.

0 Likes