Sublime Forum

Dev Build 2108

What is your preference for indent guides?

• I like the 2108, multi-level style active indent guides
  • I like the 2107, single-level style active indent guides
  • I prefer simpler, non-active indent guides
  • I disable the built in indent guides

0 voters

Dev Build 2108 is out now. Active indent guides are now rendered differently, with each relevant guide highlighted, rather than a single one. I’m keen for feedback on this - personally I find it more useful, especially when navigating around long functions.

2108 is a release candidate for the next regular build: please let me know if there are any outstanding issues, especially if they’re not present in 2095.

0 Likes

I very much prefer the way 2107 rendered the indent guides, with a single active line and the rest visible but very unobtrusive. Having active lines for every level up to the current one adds too much visual clutter, in my opinion.

0 Likes

yeah, the customisation of bracket highlights… are missing

0 Likes

[quote=“oriceon”]

yeah, the customisation of bracket highlights… are missing[/quote]

This is an ‘idée fixe’ :angry: (obsession in english ?)
Keep cool an stop to to ask every two posts, I’m sure Jon knows your feeling.

0 Likes

I’ m not the only one who asking this :wink: Take a look into my signature. Another 196 peoples want this…

0 Likes

Sure, but you are the only one that spam this forum.
This is the purpose of userecho, let the people vote for features they like without spamming this forum with undesirable noises.

We can see that Jon use the feedback from userecho to implement new features (indent guide), so be patient please.

0 Likes

Thanks for the feedback - I’ve added a poll to gather some numbers

0 Likes

I also think it is better to display the closest active tab (make sense?).
Eventually, you could decrease opacity for every tab stop.

0 Likes

How can we activate indent guides and what are the configuration options?

0 Likes

They’re activated by default in the current dev builds

0 Likes

Yes, I am still experiencing the following bugs:

• Linux x64 still crashes when doing a search and replace on a selection with a CREATE TABLE statement and replacing the table name. I sent you a couple of gdb backtraces about this. I do not know if it was present in 2095.

• Linux x64 is still showing square boxes in the Goto Symbol panel when a python file is indented with tabs. This was also present in 2095.

0 Likes

I agree that this can be useful for determining what scope you are in, but it is also now probably less useful for determining what exact indent level you are at within that scope when scrolling more than a page. I can see both as useful. What scope you are in is useful in python files, whereas scrollable indent level less so. In HTML and XML the scrollable indent level can be fairly useful.

0 Likes

I like the multi-level style. I’m not sure how it would look, but might it be possible to differentiate between the different indentation levels (either by increasing thickness or by cycling through 3 or 4 colours)?

0 Likes

I would say I like the 2108, multi-level style active indent guides, but… I’d still wish the current level to be more visible somehow (perhaps a brighter color or a different color)

0 Likes

You can set the colors in your .tmTheme:

<dict>
...]
        <key>guide</key>
        <string>#252525</string>
        <key>activeGuide</key>
        <string>#363636</string>
...]
</dict>
0 Likes

2 bugs:

1. The last indent guide is still sometimes broken up even though it should be a continuous line.
  2. It appears to stop after ~15 indent guides. This is a problem for my 37-tab-indented file :frowning:
    Screenshot attached to show both problems

Regarding the active indent guides, I’m personally not a fan just because it’s too much clutter, especially in a massive file like this. I would love it if I could click an indent guide and only have that guide highlighted, but I’ll probably just go back to a plugin to get the functionality I’d like.

0 Likes