Sublime Forum

Concerns with using Sublime as One True Editor

Is anyone using Sublime as their only editor, or their One True Editor (as discussed in Pragmatic Programmer)? I worry that the closed-source nature of the project means it will become unsupported in the future, the way textmate has pretty much ceased development of new features in the released application. Very curious to hear the group’s thoughts on this, as I’m currently deciding which editor to use as my OTE.

0 Likes

Yes, I do.
I used E-text as my one true editor and transition to sublime seems to be very natural evolution, to say so.

0 Likes

I was a happy (paying!) e text editor user until their development stagnated with a host of unresolved bugs and incomplete features in version 2. I expressed these concerns when I came across to Sublime… wow almost exactly a year ago.

I live with the overshadowing fear of abandonment and rejection every day.

0 Likes

Closed Source is not as bad thing as long as the developer is still open about what he’s working on and what he ships updates/fixes as soon as possible.

I can assure you that TextMate 2 is still in heavily Development ( I know what I tell you ). However, this doesn’t change the fact that we had to wait many many years for new features to be added. It would have been less of a pain if we had something out in the wild regarding TextMate 2 a year from it’s “intend to” announcement.

From my point of view it’s all about who’s behind the software. I trust that the guy who’s currently working on SublimeText2 is going to keep shipping. Why? because he loves his baby, he delivers more than once a week and he’s always happy to talk about it. If he ever feels that the job is not a good fit for him anymore he’ll just grab more people to work with him.

0 Likes

Sublime has replaced my previous OTE’s (EmEditor on Windows, TextMate on Mac) for about 90% of my needs. As for the future, who knows? I don’t think too much about it if I feel I’m getting my money’s worth now.

0 Likes

That is the best way to look at it in my opinion. If I get a years worth use out of a $60 programs that comes out to $5 a month (very worth it). If there is a problem with keeping Jon well paid for his work, I would hope that, with some creativity, he can propose a way to keep going. A premium subscription perhaps to the latest and greatest updates before a general public release. This isn’t just about the developer but also about the community and whether they are genuinely interested in investing into this project.

0 Likes

Great to read your responses - I have also purchased the program and am using it almost exclusively. Working now on a SQL query plugin to allow me to query various db’s from it, it’s fantastic … just had one of those “is this too good to be true” moments. :wink:

0 Likes