Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Dev Build 2120

Will you be turning the hot_exit global setting off?

No, I'll leave it enabled as per the defaults
73%
Yes, I prefer not to preserve the session
27%

Total votes : 49

Dev Build 2120

Postby jps on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:10 pm

Dev Build 2120 is out now, with some important changes.

Firstly, hot exit is now the default. This means that the normal quit key binding (OS X) or closing the last window (Windows and Linux) won't prompt to save changes, instead the application will just exit immediately and restore the changes the next time it's started. This behavior can be changed with the hot_exit global setting. I've also placed a poll in relation to this

Another significant change is that the OPEN FILES section of the side bar is hidden by default (although the setting is stored in your session, so you'll only see this on fresh installs). Along with this change, the side bar will only show when needed: if the open files are hidden, and no folders have been opened, then the sidebar will be tucked away.

Goto Anything now displays files in most recently used order, although keep in mind that ctrl+tab is a quicker way to switch between recently selected files.

Take a look at the change log for the full list of changes.
jps
Site Admin

Re: Dev Build 2120

Postby jbrooksuk on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Yay Hot Exit as default <3 thanks Jon!

One thing that I've noticed is that the default OSX bindings for multi-selecting up and down does not work under Lion (not tested any others) because the binding does some funky slow expose type animation.
jbrooksuk

Postby bizoo on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:37 pm

I like the hot_exit function but not by default cos sometimes I work on a drive letter mapped to different folders.
And I suppose that if I modify a file on this drive, quit ST2, change the map and reopen ST2 with a different file content, it will be a mess. No ?
I think that if people don't understand how hot exit works, data loss could happen easily if you work with different editor.

So I like to have the choice, but Is suppose I could set "hot_exit": false and and add an 'Hot Exit' in my main menu.
bizoo

Postby bizoo on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:36 pm

I try this:
-Open an existing file in ST2 and modify it.
-Open it in Notepad, modify it and save it.
-Return to ST2 -> Message telling that the file is modified and asking if you want to reload it.
Nice :D

Second try:
-Open an existing file in ST2 and modify it.
-Hot exit ST2.
-Open it in Notepad, modify it and save it.
-Reopen ST2 -> My file show the state when ST2 hot exit and no warning message when you save it. So my modifications made in Notepad is lost.
Awful :cry:

Is it possible to check if the file was modified when you return from a hot exit ? (something like a checksum of the original file)
bizoo

Postby jps on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:09 pm

bizoo wrote:-Reopen ST2 -> My file show the state when ST2 hot exit and no warning message when you save it. So my modifications made in Notepad is lost.

FWIW if you press undo after startup, the modifications will be rolled back and you'll be looking at the on disk file. I agree it would be nice to have some UI for this though.
jps
Site Admin

Postby aparajita on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:30 pm

jps wrote:Another significant change is that the OPEN FILES section of the side bar is hidden by default (although the setting is stored in your session, so you'll only see this on fresh installs).

FYI, if you want to change this on existing installs, open /path/to/Settings/Session.sublime_session, search for all of the "show_open_files" settings and set them to false.
aparajita

Postby jps on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:32 pm

aparajita wrote:FYI, if you want to change this on existing installs, open /path/to/Settings/Session.sublime_session, search for all of the "show_open_files" settings and set them to false.

You can use the View/Side Bar/Hide Open Files menu item, too :)
jps
Site Admin

Postby hsoft on Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:36 pm

It seems to me that the new automatic sidebar hiding is too aggressive because now, when I re-open existing projects through Cmd-Shift-P, the sidebar is hidden and I have to press "Cmd-K, Cmd-B" twice to show it.
hsoft

Postby ajpalkovic on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:23 pm

yay, yay, yay, yay
ajpalkovic

Postby aparajita on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:27 pm

jps wrote:
aparajita wrote:FYI, if you want to change this on existing installs, open /path/to/Settings/Session.sublime_session, search for all of the "show_open_files" settings and set them to false.

You can use the View/Side Bar/Hide Open Files menu item, too :)

You do realize that at some point you will have to create proper documentation for ST2. It will help its adoption tremendously.
aparajita

Next

Return to General Discussion