Sublime Forum

Dev Build 2120

FYI, if you want to change this on existing installs, open /path/to/Settings/Session.sublime_session, search for all of the “show_open_files” settings and set them to false.

0 Likes

You can use the View/Side Bar/Hide Open Files menu item, too :slight_smile:

0 Likes

It seems to me that the new automatic sidebar hiding is too aggressive because now, when I re-open existing projects through Cmd-Shift-P, the sidebar is hidden and I have to press “Cmd-K, Cmd-B” twice to show it.

0 Likes

yay, yay, yay, yay

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]

You can use the View/Side Bar/Hide Open Files menu item, too :smile:[/quote]

You do realize that at some point you will have to create proper documentation for ST2. It will help its adoption tremendously.

0 Likes

Thank you so much for this.

0 Likes

The documentation has been slowly expanding, although feature discovery is a fundamental issue irrespective of how much there is - I’m not sure what documentation could have helped in this scenario.

0 Likes

Does anyone else have a situation where the “Find in Files” options (eg. disabling “Show context” and “Use buffer”), keep getting turned back on and not remembering the settings previously chosen?

Is this a bug or a feature that can be set via settings, or something up with my install?

0 Likes

This shouldn’t be happening - is this occurring every time you open the find in files panel, only when restarting, or something else?

0 Likes

When I start (or restart) Sublime Text, and switch between the Find modes (find in current document, find in files, find / replace), the following options are automatically set for each find panel:

Find: Wrap, Highlight Matches
Find / Replace: Wrap, Highlight Matches
Find in Files: Show Context, Use Buffer

Toggling any of these off and on, or selecting other options, then closing and restarting Sublime causes the above options to be set back again.

The other scenario where it occurs is for the Find in Files panel. If I deselect the above active options, or activate other options on this panel, then switch to another find type (eg. Find / Replace), then back to Find in Files, it goes back to the two original options listed above.

I’m on Mac OS X Lion with Build 2120.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]Dev Build 2120 is out now, with some important changes.

Firstly, hot exit is now the default. This means that the normal quit key binding (OS X) or closing the last window (Windows and Linux) won’t prompt to save changes, instead the application will just exit immediately and restore the changes the next time it’s started. This behavior can be changed with the hot_exit global setting. [/quote]

Is the change supposed to be disabled in the global user setting?

0 Likes

[quote=“buymeasoda”]When I start (or restart) Sublime Text, and switch between the Find modes (find in current document, find in files, find / replace), the following options are automatically set for each find panel:

Find: Wrap, Highlight Matches
Find / Replace: Wrap, Highlight Matches
Find in Files: Show Context, Use Buffer

Toggling any of these off and on, or selecting other options, then closing and restarting Sublime causes the above options to be set back again.

The other scenario where it occurs is for the Find in Files panel. If I deselect the above active options, or activate other options on this panel, then switch to another find type (eg. Find / Replace), then back to Find in Files, it goes back to the two original options listed above.

I’m on Mac OS X Lion with Build 2120.[/quote]

Experiencing similar behavior in Windows XP SP3

0 Likes

I don’t remember seeing any documentation for the menu item to hide Open Files. We can’t be expected to do a diff on the menu items with each new release.

0 Likes

It’s listed in the changelog

0 Likes

You’re using a bleeding edge release of beta software, how can you possibly expect documentation? I don’t think it’s up to Jon to expect users to do anything with this sort of release but to give reasonably tempered feedback and appreciation for being the rare breed of developer that releases so rapidly & is so communicative with the user base. As he says, it’s in the changelog, which are always clearly written.

If it was a v1.0 and you’d paid $60, then I could see getting upset about a lack of docs – but you would have known that before buying the software.

0 Likes

Nate,

If you look at my original post, I said that at some point he will need documentation to foster greater adoption, meaning that I am fully aware that it is in beta and I can’t expect the docs to be finished yet. My only concern is that a product as great as ST2 fulfill its potential by having decent documentation. And I express my concern about documentation because ST1 did not have really good documentation either. The best documentation available has all been done by third parties.

That is not a criticism, it’s an observation. Good documentation is difficult, tedious, and time-consuming to write. I know, I have written well over 1,000 pages of documentation for my own products.

As for appreciating Jon and ST2, please, you cannot judge me by one sentence. I have volunteered weeks of my time and effort in maintaining two plugins, SublimeLinter and Cappuccino-Sublime. I have promoted ST2 heavily in all the developer communities I interact with and succeeded in winning many converts. So when it comes to supporting Jon and ST2, you cannot question my commitment.

So I’ll say it again: thank you Jon for ST2 and for listening to your users. We love ST2!

0 Likes

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Nate – I use your icon for ST2 and adore it. I hope it is adopted as the official icon before ST2 is released.

0 Likes

Ah, thanks! I use SublimeLinter! haha. I guess I misread the tone of your comment (as is so easy to do on the interwebs).

Totally agree that documentation is tedious and time-consuming, and that I’d love to see more for ST2. Hell, I’d also love to see a facelift on the website homepage and a nicer icon (Soda took care of my UI woes, particularly in the Find panel), and a snippet/prefs editing interface. With that said, I’m very happy that Jon puts his efforts into the internal code instead of the aesthetics, and don’t expect much else at this stage. The rapid release schedule blows me away.

I assume when the time comes for a v1.0 release, he’ll look into shifting efforts into the docs and other details. If nothing else, hire some folks to help out with design. Until then, I’ll just keep copying over my janky icon multiple times a week.

I also am spreading the word on ST2. In the last few months it’s really started maturing into an unbelievably powerful & fun editor. It’s amazing as-is, but I agree that a little love in the design and docs would really make the userbase explode.

0 Likes

Here is a script I run when a new release comes out, it installs your icon again.

#!/bin/bash
cp -f “$HOME/Development/Libs/Sublime Text 2/Sublime Text 2.icns” “/Applications/Sublime Text 2.app”/Contents/Resources
cp -r “/Applications/Sublime Text 2.app” “/Applications/Sublime Text 2 copy.app”
rm -rf “/Applications/Sublime Text 2.app”
mv “/Applications/Sublime Text 2 copy.app” “/Applications/Sublime Text 2.app”

Change “$HOME/Development/Libs/Sublime Text 2/Sublime Text 2.icns” to the path to your icon.

0 Likes

Aha! Thanks, works great. I tried setting up my own script a while ago, but forget what caused me to give up. I certainly didn’t think to cp, rm, & mv the app.

0 Likes