Sublime Forum

(probably) ST2 causes high cpu load (Linux, window switch)

There is an issue with (probably) ST2, with at least builds 2126 (latest beta), 2127 (latest dev) and 2124 (earliest I have stored). Even with an empty profile and no files open (just an empty window), if Sublime Text is somewhere on the screen, switching between windows (any windows, including or excluding ST2), causes X server to use 100% of one of the cores of the CPU for several seconds; if ST2 is closed, the effect is gone; switching desktop effects on/off doesn’t seem to affect anything (it is kde 4.6).
But that’s not the whole story: the other CPU core is used a lot too (but not nearly as much), and there is no single process that causes that. I do observe the same effect when compiling a lot of small files: makefile spawns a lot of gcc instances for a split of the second, each compiles a file, and then exits. There is no single huge process to use up resources, so nothing shows up in CPU monitor, apart from the average load per second. The same thing probably happens when switching to/from ST2.

0 Likes

I am having a similar issue, though not exactly the same. When I open a large PHP file (~3700) lines scrolling or any editing becomes completely useless. Scrolling (using keys in vintage mode) causes 1 core to max our for 3-4 secs, then scrolling occurs. Smaller PHP files seem to be ok.

This is happening on my new laptop, Core i7 2720QM, Fedora 15. Opening the same file on a windows machine (AMD X2 64 4200, 2GB RAM) and it is a tiny bit sluggish, but nothing like my new system.

Seems like the linux version needs some tweaking maybe?

0 Likes

trevormorse: this is almost certainly caused by a plugin, try these instructions: sublimetext.com/docs/2/revert.html

0 Likes

DSHugo: This is the first report I’ve seen of such behavior, it certainly doesn’t happen in the general case. Out of interest, what video card are you using, and what color depth are you running at?

0 Likes

Thanks! Exactly what it was, for future reference, for me it was the Sublime Tagmatcher plugin.

0 Likes

Video card is Ati Radeon A3470, and color depth is 24bit. I’ve stored glxinfo output if you happen to find any use to it.
I’ve also made (as soon as can’t do anything more apart from this) some ST2 traces on an empty profile, empty window:
Strace
Strace (counters)
Ltrace was too large to put anywhere, even after a few seconds (several MB of log per second)
Ltrace (counters)

On the second thought, the issue I have may probably exist because of some hardware problem (e.g. heating) – in the morning, as soon as I turned on the computer, there was almost none CPU clogging, but it came back is a few minutes.

0 Likes