Sublime Forum

Looking for ST2 SFTP Beta Testers

I am working on a nice SFTP plugin for ST2 and Iā€™d like to get some beta testers across the various supported platforms.

So, if you are interested in SFTP functionality, and wouldnā€™t mind working with it while it still has some bugs, shoot me an email at will@wbond.net.

[size=150]Update[/size]

The plugin has been officially announced at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3416.

0 Likes

[size=150]Update[/size]

This post talks about some of my original ideas, and does not reflect the current state of the plugin. Please see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3416 for the most up-to-date info.

[size=150]Original Post[/size]

I should clarify some bits about the plugin.

Since the API for ST2 does not provide extensive GUI options, this will not be a plugin that allows browsing remote servers and editing files off of those servers. If you are interested in working directly off of a server, something like Expandrive (expandrive.com) work really well for treating an SFTP connection like a local disk. WinSCP can also provide similar functionality.

• This plugin will be cross-platform and will allow for uploading the current file, or all files changed since the last SVN/Git/Hg commit to a server over SFTP.

• It will support SSH keys through the SSH agent of your OS (sshagent for Linux/OS X and pageant for Windows). It will also support password based logins.

• Configuration will be done like most other configuration in ST2, through a JSON file. The JSON file is placed in a path on your local machine and will map and files and folder beneath it to a folder on the server. As long as the configuration file is found in the current directory, or a parent directory, you will be upload.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

0 Likes

Hello, any chance of implementing support for ordinary FTP protocol?

I know about insecurity and so using simple FTP but you know what, I have like 30 current sites Iā€™m maintaining and to each one of them I have only simple FTP connection. I guess my clients donā€™t really care about security :wink:

Thank you

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œdigingbilā€]Hello, any chance of implementing support for ordinary FTP protocol?

I know about insecurity and so using simple FTP but you know what, I have like 30 current sites Iā€™m maintaining and to each one of them I have only simple FTP connection. I guess my clients donā€™t really care about security :wink:

Thank you[/quote]

Yes, Iā€™ve had a number of requests for FTP support. I am working on it, and hopefully Iā€™ll have it out in the next week or so, but it depends on how crazy busy I am because of my day job. Feel free to email me at support@wbond.net if youā€™d like to be notified of the release of FTP functionality.

0 Likes

FTP Protocol would be great, yes!

0 Likes

+1!

0 Likes

I guess that first, you should use putty sessions, second we need something that is better, that integrate with sublime in a level that we can open a entirely remote folter, and also that let us build remotely with ssh commands and read from remote virtualenvs (as a sample).

If you or sublime team do it, I buy your plugin, and also sublime.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œchronosscā€]I guess that first, you should use putty sessions, second we need something that is better, that integrate with sublime in a level that we can open a entirely remote folter, and also that let us build remotely with ssh commands and read from remote virtualenvs (as a sample).

If you or sublime team do it, I buy your plugin, and also sublime.[/quote]

Putty sessions donā€™t really add anything to this plugin, unless I missed something. Certainly, yes, you donā€™t have to define your hostname, username and password again, but they donā€™t contain the local path, remote path, chmod settings, ignore regex, etc. Because of this, a separate configuration is required. Rather than split the config between two programs, and also to make a consistent cross-platform experience, I decided to keep all of the config in the Sublime SFTP json file.

It has been a while since I wrote this post and the description of what I would support. As of now I do have plans to support remote browsing through the quick panel (what goto anything uses), however I do not yet have an ETA for it. Iā€™m currently working on FTP support and some other small enhancements.

0 Likes

Great, if FTP support is coming you get one more customer immediately :wink: Thanks

0 Likes