Sublime Forum

What's happening

I’ve been fiddling with WPF a little (as in, about three hours) and it does look like it might be suitable for doing sublime-like supplemental programs. Here’s my current attempt at a sublime-style window;

http://www.stevecooper.org/documents/wpf-sublime.jpg

Two things strike me;

1. It should not be too difficult to create apps which are ‘satellite’ to Sublime and which are launched from Sublime commands. I’m going to experiment with a file and folder tool which will load when Sublime loads and which monitors Sublime’s open files. I may also be able to put together a library of sublime-like controls for WPF. If so, any other .Net developers out there may be able to use it to create dialogues and forms.
  2. If Jon could host WPF controls (and I have NO idea how hard this would be) then we might be able to have a panel which contains a WPF control. This would mean that someone other than Jon could develop some of those things that people are looking for – like project management.

As yet it’s very early days, but WPF+IronPython might be a good basis for some package development.

(EDIT: I should be clear. WPF is the Windows Presentation Foundation, the GUI system used by Intellipad and the newest .net GUI system. Intellipad also has a python-based plugin system, which I assume is IronPython)

1 Like

[quote]jps wrote:

• Remove the dependency on hardware rendering, enabling Sublime to run in situations where it’s not available, such as virtual machines.
    [/quote]

I completely agree with this. As I already said before, the minimap can be something simpler such WinMerge one:

(winmerge.org/about/screenshots/screenshot.png)

That IntelliPad is quite beautiful. But in my opinion, Microsoft = trash, last week I took 3 days+ to install my ex-beloved VisualStudio and 2 days+ to make SQL Server EXPRESS work in my computer. :cry:

Once someone said me “I like Microsoft products because they work” (against linux and OpenSource stuff)… well, maybe they can work, but to make them work is another story… :imp:

well, enough of hatery.

[quote]sublimator wrote:
Sublime Forum Users: 78
E Forum Users : 1725[/quote]

Well, I used E just a little because it started buggying. I asked for help in the forum, but they weren’t carrying about it…

As people say there in Brazil “marketing/advertising is the soul of the business”.

1 Like

I’m a bit late to the party but I still wanted to share my thoughts on the matter.

The core is almost perfect. Most things we can add using the API so time should be concentrated on the things we have no control over. Things such as the sticky search highlighting and the tweaks to Find behaviour that have been mentioned elsewhere.

The renderer rewrite sounds like a big job but I must say that it would be nice to use Sublime when I’m accessing Windows via Remote Desktop. Perhaps something to do more for fun than mass benefit.

Regarding sales. I believe that Sublime will continue to gain momentum; it’s just a matter of time for the word to spread. All who have seen it love the sublime editing experience. It truly is the best.

0 Likes

Hi all - Just experimented with sublime for a couple weeks and decided I’d be forever disappointed if I didn’t purchase a license. So I did. However, and I probably should have done this in reverse order, I’d like to confirm what the outcome of this thread was. It appears Jon decided to keep development alive and not go down the open source route, but I didn’t see that actually posted anywhere. Is there a roadmap for sublime? Regardless, I think it’s a great editor as-is and I’m not disappointed by the hefty contribution.

Geoff

0 Likes

Hi Geoff - welcome to the forums!

Development is certainly alive, and I expect it to stay that way in the foreseeable future.

There’s no published roadmap per-se, largely because what’s at the top of the priority list has changed reasonably often in the past. The current short term plans are to add some more polish to the current beta, and get that shipped into a stable version, migrating project support out of beta status. Slightly longer term, I’m expecting to focus mostly on the Python API, so that more features can be implemented as plugins.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the quick response! Glad to see that sublime is alive and well, and will be for the foreseeable future. I’m looking forward to checking out the future versions.

0 Likes

Just wanted to say that I love ST! I would love open source but I completely understand what John said about open sourcing a commercial project. Here is what would help: using github to manage the language and other default packages so that the community can fix and improve them.

0 Likes

I have mixed feelings about ST going open source but at the same time I think your also placing too high a strain on yourself. I see you either (temporarilly?) abandoning some of your deisng/development goals or simply allowing yourself however long it takes you to accomplish them and not worrying about all the “is this project dead?” noise.

You could also hire someone to help you meet your goals but this might require a price bump. Which ever way you decide to go you have my support. Till I get work that will have to be moral support tho :smile:

0 Likes

Please be sure to note that this thread is from 2009, before Sublime Text 2 was announced.

0 Likes

haha, I didn’t realize. Thanks wbond for pointing that out. I guess I was too excited about news… :smile:

0 Likes

concerns? easy

Open sourcing could turn ST into something akin to eclipse where 245629365236454 developers all add feature upon feature upon feature and you end up with a bloated, ugly , slow, mishmash of utter crap. And this thread is horrendously old and i thought it was a new thread grrr. mental note to self, look at date of original posting before replying :confused:

0 Likes

There was another editor that tried to follow the model of paid open source: E-text.
Long story short, last commit is 4 years old.

0 Likes

Back in the day, when sublime was just a little baby, E was a pretty good editor.
Then it was open sourced.
Then it was abandoned.
Then we discovered Sublime :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“eMarvin”]

[quote=“iamntz”]There was another editor that tried to follow the model of paid open source: E-text.
Long story short, last commit[/quote]

is 4 years old.

With the substantial difference that Sublime Text has a devoted following and E-Text didn’t.[/quote]

E-texteditor had a large following back in the days, it was the Textmate-for-not-apple-users, I remember the forum threads asking to opensource it and as iamntz said the fast decline once it open-sourced… lucky me ST was grown enough to be a replacement (even though I still miss the file-dragging actions)…
Another example of editor died soon after open-sourcing is Crimson Editor (speaking about 2003/2004), it gone from open source to abandoned like the same day…

Intellij and Ecplise may be opensource, but they are not the same as ST, they are IDEs and ST is not…

0 Likes

I also agree that atom.io will eventually win in polish and perks like git integration. Alas, it might even win as an ecosystem of extensions and plugins. But I doubt it could catch up in sheer speed, which is a very compelling advantage of this editor, unless we witnessed something as outrageously outlandish as a hardware JavaScript coprocessor or something. Besides, many users, especially professionals, are resistant to changing workflows. Take LaTeXTools, for instance, a SublimeText tool that thousands of users rely on, and the labor of months if not years of commitment (and commits!) by its developer. Try porting that to atom.io… So, overall, I very much hope jps will open-source this product, under or not under his stewardship, handing it over to a select (and lean) group of core developers who will ensure its viability for the next few years at least.

0 Likes

@iamntz Progress with E-text slowed down a lot and had a lot of the frustrations that we’re seeing here that caused Alex to open source it.

I’m not sure open sourcing would be right for Sublime and that’s ultimately Jon’s decision but I think the Sublime audience would be much more active than the Windows only audience for E-text.

0 Likes

As someone who has spent a lot of time writing and maintaing open source projects, I can say unequivocally that open sourcing ST will not magically help. Open source software only succeeds on a large scale when there is consistent funding behind it. Why? Because someone has to pay for the time it takes even to review pull requests, deal with bug reports, etc. And without some kind of funding, that someone ends up being the repo maintainers. Ask yourself how long you would be willing to put in 5-10 hours per week for free.

Even if the code base is open sourced, how many qualified C++ programmers are there out there in the ST community who are willing to spend lots of their free time over an extended period of time to work on ST? And you would need people who know the native toolkits of OS X, Linux and Windows. This is not a trivial thing that is being proposed. After an initial spurt of enthusiasm, ST is just as likely to be abandoned or progress at a slow pace as open source.

0 Likes

Agree 100% with aparajita.

People get religious about open vs closed source yet tend to have very little understanding of the real costs and benefits of either approach. Ultimately, with projects like this the dev is the only person qualified to make the call.

0 Likes

So what is the current state? Is there something holding up v3? Is there a roadblock or malaise? It’s summer 2014, when will v3 be out? By xmas? In 2015?

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]Hello,

Due in no small part to this, I’ve been putting very sporadic hours into Sublime Text. At this stage, I’m not sure what it’s future is. The two paths are to either get over the hump, and get it done with the new UI, or to officially stop development work, and release the code as is as open source.

Jon[/quote]

While I’m sure that many would welcome the project as open source that we really feel a lot better with something official even if we have to wait. Look at how well TextMate has done since it went open source. (hint: not well) The developer went through a similar problem with development and couldn’t get over the hump to release a new version everybody was waiting so patiently for. Perhaps instead of going completely open source you could move some of the functionality out of the main project into some kind of plugin system and then let others contribute to those external components while you focus on the core functionality.

I can imagine that this is a rather complicated project and that maintaining it yourself is a big challenge.

Sublime has saved me countless hours during the past months and it would be ashame if it were to wither and die.

Thank you for the product and I hope you will find the motivation to get over the hump and find joy in the development.

0 Likes