Sublime Forum

Sublime Text and gvfs doesn't play nicely together

I really like sublime text editor but, i can’t seem to edit files remotely though nautilus and gvfs.
I mean editors opens file, but its blank, no matter what file i open (Works perfectly on local files though).
Other editors like gedit and geany opens these files perfectly fine.

So far, this is the only bug, that keeps me from switching to your editor.

Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2, Installed Sublime Text editor via PPA ppa:webupd8team/sublime-text-2. Build 2131.

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes

I was searching for a solution to this problem, but it doesn’t seem like it’s been given much attention. Turns out that it isn’t just gvfs either, I have the same issue with mounted ftp drives on my Mac, where other text editors seem to have no problem at all.

0 Likes

Install the gvfs package:

]me@computer:~$ sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse

Add yourself to the fuse group

me@computer:~$ sudo usermod -a -G fuse me

Restart X session, you should now be able to open files the way you want.

If you get disconnected, it’s a bug on gvfs not Sublime, and the fix is to run this script, which prevents FTP from disconnecting

#!/bin/bash while true do echo -n - ls ~/.gvfs/FTP* &> /dev/null sleep 15 done

Just save this file and “chmod +x” it, then call it from the terminal, then throw that terminal window in an unused workspace.

I must Thank:
Daniel Scholtus (sdeonline) for the script: bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/410288 (comment #35)

0 Likes

I am having the same issue.
I truly love Sublime Text, but if it is not capable of working with remote servers then I can’t use it.

I am having the same issue with Linux version and Mac version.
See my other response here:
https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/fixed-in-2133-workaround-gvfs-ftp-woes/2854/6

Unfortunately the script fix does not solve all the problems for me.

Here are the issues I am getting:

• Saving a file randomly converts the file to a blank file.
  • Saving a file would randomly hang and stall ST permanently. (This seems to be better with the script)
  • Folder View would rondomly not show files or show a folder as blank. Refreshing Folders does nothing. Have to restart ST on Mac or restart Linux.

This is happening on both ST2 and ST3 on both Linux and Mac.

It seems that the main issue is not with ST, but with Mounting Remote Servers. However, ST should be smart enough to work with this as most other editors do.
Once this is resolved, I would love to purchase a license.

I would love to hear back from the ST Team whether they acknowledge the issue and whether they are working on it or if they don’t plan to.
If they don’t plan to then I will not be using ST.

0 Likes