Sublime Forum

Double-click open from network drive fails

When I double click on a local file that is associated with Sublime 2 (e.g. a .txt file), it opens fine in an existing Sublime process.

However, if I do the same thing with a copy of the same file on my corporate network, I get one of three behaviors:

1. The file is opened fine in an existing Sublime process
  2. The file isn’t opened, but a new tab is created with a corrupt label on the tab (usually in a different character set, see corrupt-tab.png)
  3. The file isn’t opened, but a new window is created with an empty buffer, but no associated tab. The window is in the same process as the existing instance of Sublime.

Trying to interact with the tab (aside from closing it) created in item 2 above resulted in a crash.

This feels like a similar issue to something I posted a while ago when using Sublime against a network drive: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3161&start=0

Some details that may be relevant:

-Sublime 2, build 2132 (I tried a clean 2126 with no plugins, and found the same behavior)
-Windows 7 Pro
-Using network attached storage via SMB1 - if you need details on this, I can get you in touch with our IT dept privately

0 Likes

Dev Build 2135
Network file corruption

Ping on this? I’ve just tested the following configs:

Sublime 32, Win7 64
Sublime 64, Win7 64
Sublime 64, Vista 64
Sublime 32, XP 32

The top three showed the problem, and while the fourth didn’t show the problem, I didn’t try too long on that one. Sublime was build 2134 in all cases (though other builds I’ve tried in the past had the same problem).

Extra detail that may be useful - sometimes, when the file is attempted to be opened with a corrupt/empty name, one of the parent folders are added to the project folders list.

I also ran Sublime with procmon listening to it, and have a few runs saved where you can see Sublime trying to do a CreateFile call with a corrupt filename (both on a cold-start, and when an existing Sublime process gets tasked with opening the corrupt filename). In both cases, the Sublime process was created with the proper (non-corrupt) command line arguments, so it’s really pointing to Sublime corrupting the string somewhere internally before getting to the CreateFile call.

0 Likes