Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Minimap scroll behavior has some issues.

Minimap scroll behavior has some issues.

Postby ShawnMcCool on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:56 pm

When clicking on the minimap you should be taken directly to the area in your code that you clicked. Instead it then functions as a scroll bar of sorts. This is really evident in extremely long files.

I see no value in the minimap if you can't click a code 'shape' and be delivered to it. Am I missing something?
ShawnMcCool

Re: Minimap scroll behavior has some issues.

Postby adzenith on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:01 pm

I agree—I avoid clicking on the minimap because it doesn't work how I expect it to.
adzenith

Postby facelessuser on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:03 pm

I also agree that this needs to be addressed. I find it very irritating every time I click the minimap. I often forget how useless clicking it is, and then I will click it only to be scrolled to some unrelated part of the code.
facelessuser

Postby jps on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:10 am

This was configurable in S1, and I believe most users preferred the current behavior there.

The alternate behavior, where clicking on text in the minimap takes you to that text, is more surprising for most people, as after clicking (in a large file) the view rectangle won't be where the mouse cursor is.
jps
Site Admin

Postby facelessuser on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:10 am

It would probably be nice to have the option to do it both ways. It is kind of like having two scrollbars, they both do the same thing, but one is graphical, I can always use the scrollbar to scroll through the minimap, but it would be nice if the minimap gave some extra functionality except just an overview. I personally do not find it intuitive.
facelessuser

Postby bizoo on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:06 am

facelessuser wrote:It would probably be nice to have the option to do it both ways. It is kind of like having two scrollbars, they both do the same thing, but one is graphical, I can always use the scrollbar to scroll through the minimap, but it would be nice if the minimap gave some extra functionality except just an overview. I personally do not find it intuitive.

+1
I much prefer the 'scroll to the clicked text' behavior.
bizoo

Postby weslly on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:58 am

jps wrote:This was configurable in S1, and I believe most users preferred the current behavior there.

The alternate behavior, where clicking on text in the minimap takes you to that text, is more surprising for most people, as after clicking (in a large file) the view rectangle won't be where the mouse cursor is.

Hey Jon, what about moving this "quick jump" behavior to middle clicks in scroll-bar (like linux apps do)? With this we could have the other behavior on minimap :)
weslly

Postby tito on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:23 am

It would be nice to have both, really, ctrl+click or something to go to the clicked code.
Give APIs, let the community build the rest!
https://github.com/titoBouzout
tito

Postby adzenith on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:16 pm

jps wrote:This was configurable in S1, and I believe most users preferred the current behavior there.

I just saw a post on UserEcho that seemed like it had the potential to be really awesome:
http://sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/7 ... ouse-over/

What if: when the mouse is at the top of the minimap, the minimap is scrolled so that it shows the top of the file, and when the mouse is at the bottom of the minimap, it's scrolled to show the bottom of the file. Anywhere in between it's scrolled proportionately. Now whenever you click it will both show the code you clicked on and put the view rectangle where the mouse cursor is. Could work!

Relatedly, when you click in the minimap, the line you click on is shown at the top of the view. Could it instead be centered in the view?
adzenith

Postby zenpoy on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:43 pm

tito wrote:It would be nice to have both, really, ctrl+click or something to go to the clicked code.

+1 (This would be perfect)
zenpoy

Next

Return to Technical Support