Sublime Forum

Huge memory usage on Mac

Hello,

I posted this already in the ā€œDev 2131 buildā€ thread, but since this happened also with older builds and also with the current 2132 that Iā€™m using, I thought of start a new thread. (Original Post in Dev 2131 build thread)

I use ST2 for Javascript programming with normal not more than 30-70 files (excluding images) per project. I tend to have 4-10 different files open at a time, with most of the files have just a few kb of code.
Iā€™m on Mac OS X 10.7.2 and normally have ST2 open for the whole day with sometimes 2 or 3 to 4 different instances (each with a project)
As mentioned in the other thread, after some time the memory usage of the process is pretty huge, currently itā€™s 837MB and I opened ST2 10hrs ago.
The other thread mentioned that the root of this cause are definitely the custom packages, so I tried this over the weekend with custom Packages installed and without. I normally use only 2 Packages: SublimeCodeIntel and SublimeLinter. All the other stuff is pretty vanilla (another font e.g. of course).
But as I mentioned, even if I remove the packages from the directory and restart, the process claims more and more memory over the whole day.

I often do a full project search to find a specific string, but since I started with ST2 just a few weeks ago I havenā€™t covered all the extra features and rarely use it for now.

For comparison, a few months ago I used TextMate for the same work and in most of the time TM didnā€™t grabbed more than 100MB of memory.

So any help here would be really welcome.
Thanks.

0 Likes

O.K. this way didnā€™t seem to work to get support.

Is there another way on how to contact the support and get heard by someone of the dev-team?

0 Likes

I have the same issue but it seems itā€™s recent. One of the last update introduce a leak I guess.
I donā€™t know how I could help thereā€™s no crash report (it doesnt crash, only terribly slow).

0 Likes

mickeyben: if Sublime Text is running slowly, itā€™s almost always caused by a plugin. Please follow these instructions: sublimetext.com/docs/2/revert.html

rretsiem: What memory usage are you seeing when you donā€™t have plugins installed?

0 Likes

I have exactly the same memory usage with or without plugins.
As I wrote in my (o.k. really long :smile: ) first post, I tried it also without plugins a whole day, and had the same usage of memory at the end of the day. It was a fresh installation, without any other packages as the default ones.

At least for me, ST2 doesnā€™t get slower at all, itā€™ still working with the same speed as on starting a fresh instance. Maybe it would get slower if my system begins to use the swap-space, this could be also the issue for you @mickeyben?

0 Likes

rretsiem, Iā€™m afraid I have no insight on what may be causing this - itā€™s not at all the usual behavior that people see.

0 Likes

Iā€™m working in a rather small grails project (OSX + ST2) and today I realized that ST2 was using 2.5+GB of memory with just 4 or 5 open files!

Iā€™ll try to dig further

0 Likes

I had the same issue and found out that I had an open folder with a massive archive (think it was a .7z or .tar) file trying to open in the background.

I closed it and everythingā€™s back to being hunky doryā€¦

0 Likes

I have no plugins and no folder views. 16 files open on OSX 10.14

Sublime text 3211 is using 1.39GB

looks for a new text editorā€¦

0 Likes

Is one of the files open part of a large git repository?

0 Likes