Sublime Forum

Basic plugins question

I’m new to Sublime 2 Text editor. I’m not, however new to programming editors. But I’m missing something basic about Sublime 2 plugins - how to use them. In particular I can’t get figure out how to diff two files using the Diff plug in. I see that there is a Side Bar.sublime-menu file in the Packages/Diff folder, but right clicking on the side bar Open Files sidebar only shows a Close option. Right clicking on the Open Folders sidebar shows more options, but none of them are the Diff menu. The Diff context menu (Show Unchanged Changes) is active if I make a change in a file.

So what am I missing here?

Best, Ed

0 Likes

The diff command will show up on the context menu if you select two files under the folders section of the side bar

0 Likes

I’m assuming that ‘context menu’ means the menu that pops up when you right click on the side bar. When I do I get three options: Rename, Delete File and Open Containing Folder. I get the same three options no matter how files are selected. Not sure if it matters but I’m using build 2126.

0 Likes

I sort of stumbled upon the answer. Diff does not appear in the context menu if Open Files is hidden in the side bar. Neither of the files being Diff’ed has to be open, but the Open Files section must be visible in the side bar. Is this by design (“Any documented bug is automatically a feature” :wink: )?

0 Likes

Extending SideBar, questions, suggestions

Bravo! clap clap, resolved the mystery.
Well I consider it a bug, I use tabs instead of Open files list.
Regards

0 Likes

[quote=“tito”]Bravo! clap clap, resolved the mystery.
Well I consider it a bug, I use tabs instead of Open files list.
Regards[/quote]

I use tabs as well, but that doesn’t seem to affect the Diff context menu.

0 Likes