Sublime Forum

SideBar not refreshing

This is not an exact fix, but it solved my problem sort of:

/Users/krainboltgreene/Library/Caches/com.sublimetext.2
/Users/krainboltgreene/Library/Preferences/com.sublimetext.2.plist

These two files (one’s a directory) exist and apparently store that bug. Now that I’ve removed them it refreshes normally.

0 Likes

Similar to my problem? Automatic refresh of project/config files failing
Fails to update on configuration changes for me.

Removing the cache/pref files doesn’t help for me, though.

0 Likes

Same here.

0 Likes

I actually had this happen again, but what’s more distressing is that I’ve paid for the license.

Setup:

• MacMini, Mac OSX 10.6.8, 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM
  • Sublime Text 2, Version: Beta 2139
  • Plugins:
      • Package Control (Latest)
      • Git (Latest)
      • GitHubinator (Latest)
      • HAML (From Github)
      • LESS (From Github)
      • SCSS (From Github)
      • Slim (From Github)
      • Theme - Soda (Latest)
      • Wordcount (Latest)
  • Settings:

Problem: Suddenly the files in the side bar are either not being added or not being removed. Delete File and New File still work.

Steps:

• Right click on file, choose “Delete File”
  • File in SideBar doesn’t move. File is actually deleted on the machine.
  • Open console
  • Right click on file, choose “Delete File”, Console output:

Unable to open /Users/krainboltgreene/Repository/Ruby/kinio2/untitled Traceback (most recent call last): File "./sublime_plugin.py", line 257, in run_ File "./side_bar.py", line 19, in run OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Users/krainboltgreene/Repository/Ruby/kinio2/untitled'

Solution: None this time. I’ve removed everything related to Sublime Text. I’ve even done a find from root and removed all the hidden little caches. I’ve even restarted my computer.

0 Likes

This bug really makes ST2 unusable. Devs, please do something :smile:

0 Likes

This is extremely annoying I grant, however there is a non-ideal workaround. Add this to your user keybindings, and then you can just hit alt+ctrl+r to refresh the sidebar and pick up the changes in the filesystem

{ "keys": "alt+ctrl+r"], "command": "refresh_folder_list" }
0 Likes

[quote=“rocketman”]This is extremely annoying I grant, however there is a non-ideal workaround. Add this to your user keybindings, and then you can just hit alt+ctrl+r to refresh the sidebar and pick up the changes in the filesystem

{ "keys": "alt+ctrl+r"], "command": "refresh_folder_list" } [/quote]

Thanks mate, this is really helpful, but still hope on fixing this bug.

0 Likes

Good workaround! Here’s what I went with:

{ "keys": "super+a"], "command": "show_overlay", "args": {"overlay": "goto", "text": "@"} },
  { "keys": "super+r"], "command": "refresh_folder_list" }
]

But having paid for 2 licenses, and endorsed 4 others I’d be remise if I didn’t express open disapproval for not having any sort of support contact.

0 Likes

Has there been any progress on identifying this issue? Is there any kind of diagnostics we can provide to be of use?

0 Likes

Sublime Text uses Apple’s FSEvents API for file system monitoring. Outside of symlinks, I don’t know what scenarios can cause it to stop reporting events.

0 Likes

Okay, I’ve done some further testing specifically on my saved sublime-projects. It would seem if I create the project from scratch (same destination directory, no symlinks involved in either case) it starts working correctly. Loading from the .sublime-project file refuses to pick up on changes. I’ll take a further look and see if I come up with anything, but maybe this gives you a lead as to what could be happening here?

This doesn’t explain configuration changes not being picked up either, but that could be a symlink issue (even though it used to work fine?).

Update: I have my old projects set to use the path of “./”, so it works in both Windows and OS X. This seems to be causing the issue for me. Changing this to “.” fixes the issue (and works on windows as well).

Update2: Seems the trailing slash is the problem. Same happens with my other projects that use a non-pwd relative path as well. I would say it’s probably a good move to trim this slash at an application level to avoid this.

0 Likes

Thanks for the information peppy, I’ll take a look at it

0 Likes

I started a new project and noticed it was failing to refresh, but still refreshes on some of my other projects. I tried creating new folders moving everything. It puzzles me. I even went into a project that was refreshing fine, and added the folder that was not refreshing. And the one still wont refresh while the older one does - in the same sidebar - here is the screencast of it:
cl.ly/BrZW

This is killing me

0 Likes

Are you 100% sure that no symlinks are involved in the path to public_html in that example? I can still replicate this behaviour when the path is inside a symlink’d folder.

0 Likes

This is happening on my Windows 7 x64 workstation as well. Sublime build 2139. I have to close ST and repoen it in order for the sidebar folders/files to refresh. It only does it sometimes though. For example, I just used a web framework to generate some code and directories and they aren’t showing up in the sidebar. But if I open up Explorer and go and manually create a directory in the same spot, it shows up correctly along with the auto-generated directory. Not sure how to reproduce this problem…

0 Likes

Got a solution from User echo. worked – i’m so happy. thanks Sublime Text→Andy Jarrell

I can’t find forum link to where I saw the suggested change, but there is a non-documented option to put in your user settings file. It is:

“ignore_inodes”: true

I had to use it when connected to SAMBA/CIFS shares to resolve the issue. I wasn’t seeing the issue for local files, just the network mounted folders. This setting still seems to work in Sublime Text 3 as when I remove it the issue comes back for those network mounted folders, but when I keep it in my user settings it works correctly. I do think it affected Sublime’s ability to detect changes on the local file system (that’s just anecdotal.) I didn’t go to the effort to figure out how to add the setting to a sublime project file so it can be applied per project (if there is a way?).

Not sure if that is remotely helpful.

0 Likes

Alright folks, sorry for the necro post but since there is no information on the internet in how to resolve this problem, I feel this information might not be that wrong here.

I ran into this problem multiple times. First on my old macbook, now on my new retina one.
The “ignore_inodes”: true settings didn’t do anything for me. Why should sublime text want to ignore inodes anyway? The whole system is using inodes.
I am not using any projects. I tried adding a few files to a project and played with the project settings, but no luck.
I am not syncing my stuff with dropbox, I have everything locally.
Not a single symlinks / hardlink across all my projects

Here is what I did to resolve this issue, in the following order. I am still unsure which one finally resolved it though:

• Disabled dropbox and restarted my computer. I read that dropbox adds a ton of FSEvents which could interfere with other systems using FSEvent as well.
  • Let disk utility repair my disk
  • Let disk utility fix all disk permissions
  • Killed my spotlight index with
    sudo mdutil -E /
    sudo mdutil -i on /
  • Restarted again

Spotlight is still busy reindexing my entire disk, but folders are refreshing again and ST3 applies config changes right away without the need to restart the editor.
Running Mac OS X 10.9.2 and ST3 build 3062

If any of these steps resolved it for you, please share your feedback

0 Likes

Hey Guys, to those who are still suffering with this, I accidentally found the solution…

I had resigned myself to manually refreshing ST’s sidebar on my mac every time I made changes for the last couple of years, after having searched and giving up on finding a solution… But yesterday, when I upgraded my Mac’s Ram (from 4GB to 12GB), the problem just went away! It solved it for me, maybe it will solve it for you?

0 Likes

To all,

In my case, the cause of the issue was outside of Sublime Text (and not Sublime Text itself).

I started seeing this problem after I installed Box Sync (which is similar to Dropbox or Google Drive).

As others have surmised, other applications that add FSEvents seem to have the ability to mess with Sublime’s own use of FSEvents.

After doing lots of troubleshooting, I eventually uninstalled Box Sync. At this point, the Sidebar started refreshing normally.

So I encourage you to check if you’ve installed any new software to determine what the cause of the problem could be.

Best of luck.

0 Likes

Hi everyone,
This is my solution:

If still can’t resolve it,restart your mac.

0 Likes