Sublime Forum

Successful migration from textMate, congrats! : )

Hi there, just wanted to share my experience in migrating from my beloved textmate onto sublime, which all in all has been absolutely painless.

The main reasons I did the switch are as follows:

• finally I’ll be able to work on the same editor independently of what Os my next work environment will put me on!
  • textmate had got me for it’s simplicity and its ability to be extended via simple scripts, and sublime just excels at those characteristics.
  • sublime can be customized via config sctipts, as opposed to textmate which almost can’t be customized at all.
  • well, last point but not that unimportant, textmate’s file pane, even if loaded with plugins, was still a piece of abandonware.

I’ve been lurking around waiting for a few things to be implemented, and one after another each issue I had has been solved, from the files pane being a bit too “original” to the search and replace in multiple files.

I’m still not entirely happy with the auto_complete, I’d love to see an alternative command to just cycle through the available completitions without the popup, anyhow, here’s how I arranged some shortcuts to feel a bit more at home:

{ "keys": "super+shift+t"], "command": "show_overlay", "args": {"overlay": "goto", "text": "@"} },
{ "keys": "super+l"], "command": "show_overlay", "args": {"overlay": "goto", "text": ":"} },
{ "keys": "super+r"], "command": "build" },
{ "keys": "escape"], "command": "auto_complete", "context":

{ "key": "panel_visible", "operator": "equal", "operand": false },
		{ "key": "auto_complete_visible", "operator": "equal", "operand": false },
		{ "key": "overlay_visible", "operator": "equal", "operand": false },
		{ "key": "has_prev_field", "operator": "equal", "operand": false },
		{ "key": "has_next_field", "operator": "equal", "operand": false }
	]
}

]

Thanks to the author of sublime, great work : )
Andrea

0 Likes

Hi Andrea,
I’ve been migrating as well, and still trying to fully replace a lot of the pieces that I’ve become accustomed to.

Since the autocomplete thing was one of the ones I most wanted when I first switched, here’s a plugin I’ve been using successfully to mimic TM’s escape autocomplete without the popup:
github.com/alexstaubo/sublime_t … completion

I hope that helps :smile:

0 Likes

Likewise; I bought ST2 a year and a half ago to support its development, but it was too rough to become my One True Editor. But the addition of Reindent and Replace in Files, improved Find in Files and projects, and the availability of Package Manager finally made ST2 feature-complete for my daily needs. Loving it!

0 Likes