Sublime Forum

Bookmarks redesign proposal

Hi

There is another proposal to improve rendering of bookmarks:

Because Sublime provides support for multiple bookmarks in one line it’s hard to determine how many of them are there.
This simple solution should improve this mechanism.
It can be done in the same way as bookmarks indicator next to line number - small picture (stored in the theme folder) can be used to indicate bookmark position inside the line.
Please feel free to share your opinion :smile:

reqards
Artur

0 Likes

I agree, the exact position of bookmarks should be shown, especially when there are two bookmarks on the same line.

0 Likes

MultiEdit displays a little digit in the bookmark marker in the gutter. I created a bookmark by ctrl+shift+ and jumped to it by ctrl+. These bookmarks were file specific and persistent.

I like this simple approach very much and used it much more and effective than the current sublime style bookmarks.

As only 10 bookmarks were possible (a number I seldom reached) it made little sense to put more than one bookmark in a line. In the rare cases with two bookmarks in the same line only one was shown. The hidden one got displayed when the other bookmark was placed elsewere.

And - as you were the malefactor placing two bookmarks in a line you have to remember by yourself :sunglasses:

0 Likes

Bookmark indicator is defined by theme as a small picture (bookmark.png) and from my point of view there are no enough space to display two digits here.
But it would be great if number of bookmarks in the line will be displayed as a tooltip on bookmark indicator at row level.

In typical work I use several dozen of bookmarks :smile:

In the future bookmarks probably will be stored in session file (I hope :wink: ).
What about case when you are opening session from previous week?
:wink:

0 Likes

Thanks for the mockup, I always enjoy seeing them. I quite like your bookmark indicator icon.

I’m not entirely sold on showing bookmarks within the text, my feeling is it just doesn’t gain very much, and it does have the potential to be distracting. I’ve implemented a variation on your suggestion for the next version though, where a different bookmark icon will be used if there are multiple bookmarks on the one line.

re: numbered bookmarks. I’ve previously used editors with numbered bookmarks, and my preference is for the current bookmark system. However, one of the goals for the API is to allow bookmarks to be implemented entirely via plugins, so adding support for numbered bookmarks should be possible in the future with a plugin.

0 Likes