Sublime Forum

Screen update freezed

While typing code, ST2 suddenly stop refreshing the screen and the all UI looks freezed with an high CPU load (>100%).
If I wait few seconds, CPU usage get normal but ST2 display is still freezed.

But the strange point is that it’s just screen update that is blocked. If I click on tabs, the window title is changing normally. And if il close the window and then restart ST2, I get in current editor pane all text entered while I was freezed.

From my observation, the “high cpu” can occur when ST2 decide to rescan my project files (bug one, 4936 files, 19000 without project exclusions) or when I activate some CPU consuming packages like SublimeCodeIntel.

I search in ST2 command line help but I didn’t found any debug options in order to provide more accurate information.

The good point is that ST2 session recovery works just fine and I never lost any modification, event if I didn’t save files I was working on (impressive !), but this bug can occur every 1/2 hours, which is kind of very annoying.

0 Likes

It is pretty easy for plugins to slow down Sublime if they don’t use threading properly, or if they use a CPU-heavy algorithm on a large file. I would try disabling any third-party plugins and testing to see if you still have these performance issues.

Whatever you can do to provide the most detail possible, especially in recreating the issue, can help Jon in determining what is going on.

0 Likes

Issue is really easy to reproduce. Just have to create a project with drupal (drupal.org) and try to go to any function definition. If I tail codeintel logs (~/.codeintel/codeintel.log) it’s working hard for about 10 seconds and stop. But when CI stop writing logs, ST2 don’t leave it’s “freezed mode”. Generally to eat the all project I have to kill ST2 about 3 times and repeat the process. After that, everything is working ok.

So it look like something is “timouting” somewhere and leave ST2 in freezed mode. But I didn’t find any option in ST2 to produce logs about what’s going on in the black box… What is the best way to debug ST2 itself ?

0 Likes

Sounds like the bug is related to SublimeCodeIntel and not the editor itself. SublimeCodeIntel has a bug tracker at github.com/Kronuz/SublimeCodeIntel/issues.

0 Likes

Hum… honestly if a plugin can freeze the editor the way it does (just screen update is broken, if I type “toto” and CTRL-S, toto is well saved in my file), it is an editor bug for me. Or at least a design problem in plugin architecture, don’t you think ?

0 Likes