Sublime Forum

Very slow and so nearly unusable on MacOS 10.6

I use Mac OS 10.6 on a MacBook 13" (2007). It is hanging. I always see the Mac OS’ spinner cursor and it reacts after 1…30 secs after clicks. So I cannot really use it despite I’d like to. Sometimes, after some minutes, it works normally, but I don’t want to wait after every restart.
I don’t know what could cause this slow reaction. Any system or editor prefs that could help me?
Thanks

Andi

0 Likes

Have you installed the tagmatcher or bracket matcher plugins? They caused Sublime to be nearly unusable too, so after uninstalling them everything was back to normal

0 Likes

I have not manually installed any plugins. A search for tagmatcher does not give me any results. Where can I find plugins and how can I uninstall them?

0 Likes

Click the link in my signature below to read my post about using ST.

0 Likes

(I do not need any extensions and so I have not installed them.)
Sadly, Sublime Text is now hanging forever. So I have switched to Gedit again. It’s weird that I need to stop using the best editor on a Mac just because it is hanging without reason. What can I do?

0 Likes

http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/2/revert.html

0 Likes

Thanks, but it’s still blocking for many seconds. It just reacts every 10-20 seconds to my inputs. It seems that there is some logic inside that blocks on older MacBooks.

0 Likes

How many files are in the folder you have loaded into the sidebar?

Are you trying to use a folder over Expandrive, Fuse, or a Samba share?

0 Likes

I do not use any remote file system.
I usually load my home dir, or a sub dir, where all my modules are in (usually 20-30 dirs, each can contain many files).
This shouldn’t be a problem.
And I believe that my SSD should make the whole process faster instead if slower (?).

0 Likes

I have exactly the same problem. And i narrowed it down to the sidebar/project view.
As soon as i show it i get 100% cpu usage (with the latest dev build at least, dont remember it with the older one).
In my project i had 2 folders(those folders contain thousands of files)

Hope it helps

0 Likes

So what is your solution? Opening a folder with just a few files does not help either. And I need the sidebar view all the time when coding.
(Of course, as a programmer with a healthy paranoia, I had the idea of a conspiracy against users that haven’t registered Sublime, but wouldn’t this be evil? :smiling_imp: )

0 Likes

FWIW, I have no idea what may be causing the slowdowns for you

0 Likes

I have done the same, the only problem is that you can’t use Alt+* combinations in Gedit and need to manually setup alternative Ctrl+* combinations. All the other aspects work surprisingly well for software that is used to be run on Gnome.

0 Likes

[quote=“andi”]

I have done the same, the only problem is that you can’t use Alt+* combinations in Gedit and need to manually setup alternative Ctrl+* combinations. All the other aspects work surprisingly well for software that is used to be run on Gnome.[/quote]

You’re replying to a spambot. I do like “Elegant Textual” as a thesaurus alteration of Sublime Text. High school diploma.

0 Likes

I see the same slowdown issue when opening my project folder. It hangs up for 30-60 seconds with 100-120% CPU (on MacBook Air) and then goes back to normal.

Probably it caused by some indexing that is done when the folder is opened. I have few thousands of Ruby, ERB, and JS files in the folder so maybe it causes slowdown.

What do you think?

0 Likes

Found it. I had a folder with 45000 image files in it and it slowed down the whole thing. I added it to the global ignore list and now it works fine.

Btw, take into account that most of Rails projects has public/system folder with A LOT of images in it. Since your editor becomes very popular in Rails community I would like to recommend you to deal with this situation by default.

0 Likes