Sublime Forum

LaTeXTools: compilation issue

Hey,

When using LaTeXTools for ST2, certain errors do not produce a feedback message when compiling the file. I came across such a behavior when I just copied some text from word to a tex file on ST2. This copied text included apostrophes, which caused the problem - no feedback when compiling. If I use TextMate, I get the following message, which helps me solve the problem.

Package inputenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined

Any ideas how to optimize that behavior with LATeXTools for ST2?

The tex file is available here: dl.dropbox.com/u/41850/testprposal2.tex

Best
Christian

0 Likes

Yep, my bad. The short story is that I have to robustify the make_pdf command in LaTeXTools (which is invoked when you do a build).

The longer story is that (1) tex complains that it cannot encode a character (the apostrophe, as you correctly state), and copies the offending character in the log file; then, (2) Python throws a Unicode error when it encounters that character when parsing the log file.

I think in this case the right thing to do is to parse the log file telling Python to ignore characters it can’t encode. However, more generally, I must also make sure that the build command never fails silently. I’ll try to fix this ASAP.

As a stopgap measure, sometimes you can get some insight into what went wrong by looking at the console (Ctrl+`); LaTeXTools spits out a lot of debugging info there, and of course any Python error messages appear there, too.

Thanks!

0 Likes

OK, I think I have robustified the relevant code. It works for me on your file… Please let me know! Thanks—M

0 Likes

Excellent, Marciano!.

Now it outputs the error and jumps to the right point inside the code - great.

Best
Christian

0 Likes